Nikola Tesla?

JTM³

In my daily web surfing, I've been looking at the Command and Conquer Canon.

Command and Conquer is a real time strategy game.

The basic story is that Einstein uses a device called a "Chronoshpere" [which plays an important role in the game as a superweapon] to travel back in time and assassinate .

All goes well of course, the Chronosphere works flawlessly and Einstein travels back in time, meets , and assassinates him. [in the clip scene of Red Alert they shake hands, and something about the Chronosphere effect is what kills him.]

And without getting into a long whinded discussion of the C&C universe, let me just get to my point...

In the game [Red Alert and Red Alert 2] devices and units show up bearing tesla's name, such as a Tesla tank, Tesla Coil for base defense[ a large tower that shoots a bolt of lightning at enemy units] Tesla troopers, and a Tesla power plant.

SO yeah, with that "short" intro, I've been wondering, have all of Tesla's theories been defunct? [Like his ray, "free" energy and so on.]

Was he really a quack?

Or have we forgotten some very powerful ideas? :confused:

Have his theories really been tested to scientific standards or did the scientific community at the time simply brush him aside because he was too maveric for them?

Sorry, I'm not read well at all in Tesla, I've just heard that he had some wonky ideas :)

he was pretty much a quack, there is no free energy to be had.

however he did create something called a tesla coil which applies a very high voltage to a sphere causing electrical arcing, tesla created one that could through arcs over 120 feet!. note however that these things use very low current and you could easily stand in the middle of the arc storm and not feel a thing.

Tesla never claimed to have created any free energy technologies. There's some sort of Tesla free energy meme that's very much alive. It's being spread by people who completely misunderstood his ideas. This began long ago, for example the batsh*t insane psychopath author Ayn Rand based her character John Galt on Tesla. John Galt created some sort of weird coil that sucked energy out of nowhere, turned a motor, and in turn... turned a generator. If that system doesn't make sense to you, you're not alone... Ayn Rand's understanding of Tesla's concept was about as jaded as her understanding of Nietzsche. (and for those of you who lack the background to catch the reference, I'm basically saying she doesn't get it)

The basic component of Tesla's conceived wireless power concept was the prototype he attempted to build at Wardenclyffe Tower. This was: a large generator farm attached to an electromagnetic transmitter tuned to particular harmonics of the Schumann Cavity, the space between the Earth's surface and the ionosphere. Tesla's hypothesis was that electromagnetic energy transmitted into this cavity on such harmonics would resonate and eventually form standing waves. He conceived a series of Wardenclyffe-like structures erected all over the world, filling the Schumann cavity with electromagnetic energy and providing a pool of energy anyone could tap and make use of.

So really, it's not free energy whatsoever. The entire system would be powered by generators of some sort. What he was really trying to do was eliminate transmission lines. Generators all over the world, powered by whatever energy source, would fill the Schumann Cavity with standing electromagnetic waves.

It failed for many reasons. The first is that Tesla lied to obtain funding for the system. He told his investor, J.P. Morgan, that Wardenclyffe would be a wireless communication system, when really he intended it to be a wireless power distribution system. Today Wardenclyffe is clearly outlandish in comparison to the actual technical requirements of a radio transmitter, but when J.P. Morgan invested he had no idea what would actually be involved.

Lying to your investors is a great way to piss them off. Morgan dumped Tesla as soon as Marconi was able to pioneer practical radio transmitters and receivers and get them into production at the same time Tesla was working on wireless power.

Also, the Schumann Cavity would be very leaky, because the locations of both the surface of the earth and the ionosphere are not fixed and thus the Schumann Resonance, the base frequency upon which you must transmit a harmonic of to fill the cavity, changes depending upon where you are in the world. Tesla's concept would be like trying to inflate an inner tube that's full of holes: it leaks, and thus the process is highly inefficient.

Furthermore, there are potential health hazards with transmitting large amounts of energy on harmonics of the Schumann resonance, which are typically in the Extremely Low Frequency (ELF) band. Tesla became gradually became aware of these risks and grew increasingly wary of the Wardenclyffe Project.

In the end, the polyphase AC electrical system remains the most practical method of electrical transmission, and all attempts to replace it, such as HVDC, have failed. HVDC (essentially the evolution of the Edison system) serves some specific niches, such as subaquatic transmission lines, but overall remains impractical for to the home transmission of electrical energy.

Tesla's ideas grew increasingly impractical as he aged. He was really a conceptualist, with his grand concept, the polyphase AC system, being a masterwork which remains the most integral system driving the modern world to-date. How could he possibly top that? Like Einstein, he sprung his big idea while he was young, and failed in his search for something that could possibly top the original concept.

He was, but most of what he said was correct. Most of the "quack" has been formed by people today taking and corrupting his ideas, claiming them as "free energy" or some other impossible theory.

He discovered AC (alternating current), which is how all mains electricity is produced, transmitted and used* today. He developed the first radio and did a lot of work with magnetic (and electric) fields. The unit of magnetic flux density is the Tesla. As previously mentioned he also invented the Tesla coil. He also did work on transformers, which as you know are found commonly in every household today.

He did have some "wonky" ideas, but they've been made "wonkier" by people who do not fully understand his work, nor physics. At the same time he is, effectively, creator of radios and AC electricity, so he wasn't a complete nutter.

*obviously some appliances have a AC to DC converter, but I'm trying to keep it simple!

oh of course, he did do alot of interesting things, but by the time he got to wanderclyffe he was a quack

He was impractical and overly theoretical. That doesn't make him a quack. His idea was certainly possible but impractical due to human health concerns and the non-uniformity of the Schumann Cavity. There's no way Tesla could've known about these things when he originally undertook Wardenclyffe. Tesla became increasingly aware of the potential health concerns of his wireless power scheme as he aged and learned more about electromagnetic radiation and resonances.

Tesla never claimed to have created any free energy technologies. There's some sort of Tesla free energy meme that's very much alive. It's being spread by people who completely misunderstood his ideas. This began long ago, for example the batsh*t insane psychopath author Ayn Rand based her character John Galt on Tesla. John Galt created some sort of weird coil that sucked energy out of nowhere, turned a motor, and in turn... turned a generator. If that system doesn't make sense to you, you're not alone... Ayn Rand's understanding of Tesla's concept was about as jaded as her understanding of Nietzsche. (and for those of you who lack the background to catch the reference, I'm basically saying she doesn't get it)

The basic component of Tesla's conceived wireless power concept was the prototype he attempted to build at Wardenclyffe Tower. This was: a large generator farm attached to an electromagnetic transmitter tuned to particular harmonics of the Schumann Cavity, the space between the Earth's surface and the ionosphere. Tesla's hypothesis was that electromagnetic energy transmitted into this cavity on such harmonics would resonate and eventually form standing waves. He conceived a series of Wardenclyffe-like structures erected all over the world, filling the Schumann cavity with electromagnetic energy and providing a pool of energy anyone could tap and make use of.

So really, it's not free energy whatsoever. The entire system would be powered by generators of some sort. What he was really trying to do was eliminate transmission lines. Generators all over the world, powered by whatever energy source, would fill the Schumann Cavity with standing electromagnetic waves.

It failed for many reasons. The first is that Tesla lied to obtain funding for the system. He told his investor, J.P. Morgan, that Wardenclyffe would be a wireless communication system, when really he intended it to be a wireless power distribution system. Today Wardenclyffe is clearly outlandish in comparison to the actual technical requirements of a radio transmitter, but when J.P. Morgan invested he had no idea what would actually be involved.

Lying to your investors is a great way to them off. Morgan dumped Tesla as soon as Marconi was able to pioneer practical radio transmitters and receivers and get them into production at the same time Tesla was working on wireless power.

Also, the Schumann Cavity would be very leaky, because the locations of both the surface of the earth and the ionosphere are not fixed and thus the Schumann Resonance, the base frequency upon which you must transmit a harmonic of to fill the cavity, changes depending upon where you are in the world. Tesla's concept would be like trying to inflate an inner tube that's full of holes: it leaks, and thus the process is highly inefficient.

Furthermore, there are potential health hazards with transmitting large amounts of energy on harmonics of the Schumann resonance, which are typically in the Extremely Low Frequency (ELF) band. Tesla became gradually became aware of these risks and grew increasingly wary of the Wardenclyffe Project.

In the end, the polyphase AC electrical system remains the most practical method of electrical transmission, and all attempts to replace it, such as HVDC, have failed. HVDC (essentially the evolution of the Edison system) serves some specific niches, such as subaquatic transmission lines, but overall remains impractical for to the home transmission of electrical energy.

Tesla's ideas grew increasingly impractical as he aged. He was really a conceptualist, with his grand concept, the polyphase AC system, being a masterwork which remains the most integral system driving the modern world to-date. How could he possibly top that? Like Einstein, he sprung his big idea while he was young, and failed in his search for something that could possibly top the original concept.

He was, but most of what he said was correct. Most of the "quack" has been formed by people today taking and corrupting his ideas, claiming them as "free energy" or some other impossible theory.

He discovered AC (alternating current), which is how all mains electricity is produced, transmitted and used* today. He developed the first radio and did a lot of work with magnetic (and electric) fields. The unit of magnetic flux density is the Tesla. As previously mentioned he also invented the Tesla coil. He also did work on transformers, which as you know are found commonly in every household today.

He did have some "wonky" ideas, but they've been made "wonkier" by people who do not fully understand his work, nor physics. At the same time he is, effectively, creator of radios and AC electricity, so he wasn't a complete nutter.

*obviously some appliances have a AC to DC converter, but I'm trying to keep it simple!

He was impractical and overly theoretical. That doesn't make him a quack. His idea was certainly possible but impractical due to human health concerns and the non-uniformity of the Schumann Cavity. There's no way Tesla could've known about these things when he originally undertook Wardenclyffe. Tesla became increasingly aware of the potential health concerns of his wireless power scheme as he aged and learned more about electromagnetic radiation and resonances.

Thank you all very much for your replies!

Actually what he did was devise the alternating current motor, until which time only DC motors existed. He also did extensive work in power transmission with AC generators and lines, including the project to utilize niagra falls to power New York.

He was a brilliant conceptualist but too often wrote off mechanical obstacles as trivial. In many ways he was right - the Tesla Turbine was a great idea that gets used today, but Tesla didn't have the materials to build the machine without the metals warping with use and making it ineffective.

i took a look at his "peace ray" idea, (i really dont like the name he chose)

this is my understanding:

he uses an electrostatic charge to propell a blob of liquid metal then uses a laser to ionise the air behind it allowing the charge to stay close behind the projectile repelling it from the air as it travels. the projectile cuts the laser so the net force is forward for as long as the charge lasts.

the only problem i could see was that he neglected wind shear which would effect the projectile but not the charged path it was meant to stay in front of.

he was a brilliant scientist but he eventually got a little over confident in his designs

Bascule, you could have at least mentioned the reason he lied to Morgan was that Morgan was out to make a killing and transmitted power would be very hard to charge for. He lied because if he'd told the truth he wouldn't get backing.

Padren, you underestimate his accomplishments. While he did invent the AC motor, he also invented virtually the entire concept of AC power generation and distribution. This was no mean feat. I also understand he patented the AND, OR, NAND and NOR circuits sometime around 1912.

Before anyone calls him a quack, have a look here. The list shows a lifetime of brilliance, not just a flash. It's not his fault if you don't understand his ideas.

Maybe if there were more like him around today, we would be advancing rather than stagnating.

I believe (but could be wrong;) ) that his "Death Ray" was some sort of particle beam weapon. There are many articles about it, but very little meat in that .......um....., particular, sandwich. (Somebody shoot me.)

The stagnation I referred to was more of a technological nature. It occurred to me a while ago that there is nothing from the last 60 odd years that isn't an improvement on something from the period 1890-1940.

We've made things smaller, faster and more powerful but where are the new ideas? See what I'm getting at?

rocket man, that couldn't have been the original idea as the lazer wasn't invented until the 1970's

his design included several un-proven concepts, Einstein proposed stimulated emmision in 1917. however, you are quite right, the first laser was tested too late to be incorporated (Helium-Neon by bell laboratories in 1960)

in the article he had published he clearly stated that it was based on four untested concepts, the description of one fits the laser perfectly.

also the lazer and digital storag media weren't around in the 1890's-1940's there also wasn't any of the biotchnology we have today.

carbon fiber

advanced rockets (moon shot, space shuttle)

a few dozen other things, but I'm sick and can't think properly right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Legend, magician, sorcerer, time traveler, or simply an extraordinary scientist who was just way ahead of his time. Nikola Tesla, born in 1856 was one of the most mysterious persons to walk on the earth. Filtering out all of the half-truths I created this Tesla timeline for the UK press. MCM

http://www.pressbox.co.uk/detailed/Science/Nikola_Tesla_Timeline_-_Legend_magician_sorcerer_53443.html

Uhh, I'm going to go with: THE INTERNET

Hmmm, Babbage machines talking to each other over telegraph wires. Next.;):)

My point was that in the period referred to things that were invented were new, they had never existed before, they were not a development of a previously existing machine. The car, radio, television, telephone, aeroplane and the computer were all invented in that era.

Since then we have made them bigger, faster, sometimes smaller, more powerful and we've learnt to use them in different and novel ways. But we haven't made anything new. Even the mobile phone, they're smaller and better than the old radio telephones, but at heart, they're still a radio telephone.

Luke, I'd have to look up about carbon fibre, but "advanced rocketry" implies that it is building on previous work, which it is. The liquid feulled rocket was quite good in the 1940's, remember the V-2? As for solid fuels, they go back a couple of thousand years. Next.:) And I think, IIRC, Tesla's notes describe the Maser in around 1912.

What exactly do you mean by "Digital Storage Media"? Hard drives, CD's, ?

See what I'm getting at?

• 2 months later...

On the NIKOLA TESLA'S RADIANT ENERGY SYSTEM with a wire on top of my double story house roof just a wire no antenna, I managed to get a continuous voltage of 0.120V mixed AC or DC just run it rectifier and that sort it all out and if you put you cap in you get max of 0.300V DC with no amps, so that was fun but useless, and then you have the possibly of a thunder bolt zapping your wire and then you screwed by all means.

• 1 month later...

I see too many mis-truths about Tesla so I took 2 years of my research for my book MADDY'S SECRET: THE SEARCH FOR EINSTEIN'S LOST WORK and wrote this article for the British Press. Apologies for the length, but the truth needs to be out there. MCM ... m4ideas@aol.com ... http://www.authorsden.com/rigby

Legend, magician, sorcerer, time traveler, or simply an extraordinary scientist who was just way ahead of his time. Nikola Tesla, born in 1856 was one of the most mysterious persons to walk on the earth.

Legend has it that he was born during an electrical storm at the stroke of midnight. His magical inventions (over 100 years ago) that amazed his fellow scientists, included wireless transmission, remote control systems, an earlier version of florescent lights, the electric motor, AC power, radar, and numerous others. As a sorcerer, he created man-made lightning that terrorized the communities near his workshops. Some speculate he was a time traveler, because how else could a man change Thomas Edison’s electrical power ideas from deadly and hazardous to the safe systems we all use today. And let’s not forget to mention his patents that became the basics for computers, cell phones, television, as well as the beginnings of the X-ray machine.

Amazingly, in 1898, Tesla demonstrated a wireless controlled boat, with the world’s first remote control device that eventually became the basics for military weapons including the star wars program in space. He was unable to interest the military at the time, but when he died in 1943, the FBI ordered the Office of Alien Property to seize all of Tesla's papers and possessions although he had been a U.S. citizen since 1891.

He became obsessed with interplanetary communication, for which he was laughed at, but his work is now fundamental to NASA communications and project SETI, the Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence.

He told people he possessed the scientific ability to split the Earth in two, and in an article printed in the New York Times he claimed he had invented a death ray which he called the Teleforce, which could melt an airplane's engine from a range of 250 miles.

The military ignored him at the time, but years later the military spent enormous amounts of money and energy trying to reproduce the technology of Tesla's inventions.

The Tesla Coil is one of his most talked about inventions involving both fact and fiction. In 1894, Tesla generated 1,000,000 volts using a conical air-core Tesla Coil. The experiments later achieved 16 foot discharges of lightning in his New York City lab. That’s ONE MILLION VOLTS in 1894. Tesla knew that the earth could conduct electricity, and that the electricity vibrates around the world in waves through the planet. He proved this by forcing massive amounts into the ground and lighting 200 lights without wires 25 miles away.

Similar experiments in Colorado Springs are well documented and some have become folklore. People walking near his lab, would feel sparks from the ground. A boy held a screwdriver near a fire hydrant and attracted a four inch electrical spark. There were reports that the grass around his lab would glow with a ghostly blue halo. He pushed his experiments to the extreme trying to find the limits and his device was now creating lightning bolts over 130 feet long.

His experiments in Colorado Springs ended memorably, especially for the utility company. He theorized that if he forced massive amounts of electrical current into the ground and it moves at the speed of light, 186,000 miles per second, then the wave would reach the other side of the planet and bounce back in 1/30th of a second. To intensify this experiment he would wait for the charge to return and then he would strengthen the wave with another charge and send it back through the earth again and repeat this over and over. The testing was cut short as it triggered the local power company’s generator to be set on fire and caused a blackout over several miles.

After getting kicked out of Colorado Springs, he wanted to complete these tests and push it even further. He set up shop near the Long Island community of Shoreham, New York. The Wardenclyffe tower was registered as Tesla's U.S. Patent No. 1,119,732 an Apparatus For Transmitting Electrical Energy. It was the three-coil magnifying transmitter that started in Colorado and later became the basis of rumor tied forever to the Philadelphia Experiment. Although legend has it that Einstein and Tesla were behind that famous experiment that made a navy ship disappear and move through time, the fact is that Tesla died at the age of 87, six months before that event took place.

The research of Tesla and his connection to Einstein finds both fact and fiction which was the geneses for the book - Maddy’s Secret: The Search for Einstein’s Lost Work.

http://www.Amazon.com , http://www.barnesandnoble.com , http://www.authorsden.com/rigby

The Nikola Tesla Timeline …

* Nikola Tesla was born to Serbian parents as a subject of the Austro-Hungarian Empire in Lika on July 10th, 1856, in what is now known as Croatia.

* 1875 - Tesla begins technical schooling in Graz, Austria and learns to speak 5 languages fluently, while being able to converse in 9.

* 1880 - Tesla begins working for the American Telephone Company in Budapest and suffers a nervous breakdown.

* 1882 - Tesla conceives of the AC induction motor. He sees the rotating fields in a vision, and then he meticulously details the construction of both single and polyphase motors in his notebook. Tesla begins working for Continental Edison in Paris, France, helping them to resolve problems with their DC dynamos.

* 1884 - Fleeing from war, Tesla arrives in New York at age 28 and begins working for Thomas Edison to improve Edison's DC dynamos. Edison promises to pay Tesla $50,000 if he can improve the DC dynamo’s performance.

* 1885 – Tesla succeeds beyond Edison’s expectations, but Edison reneges on his promise to pay Tesla $50,000 for improvements to his dynamos, saying he was just joking - Tesla resigns in disgust.

* 1886 - Tesla launches Tesla Electric Light & Manufacturing, but the financial backers, Robert Lane and B. A. Vail, are unable to comprehend the technological advances and refuse to fund Tesla's AC Motor, and they fire Tesla.

* 1887 - Once thought impossible, Tesla builds the first AC Induction Motor, the world's first brushless 2 phase 1/5 Horse Power AC motor. Tesla files key worldwide patents, locking the rights to the invention and makes a strategic deal with George Westinghouse to manufacture them.

* The electric war between Edison’s DC power and Westinghouse’s AC power proves Tesla’s design is better and much safer and becomes the world’s standard.

* In 1891, Tesla builds his own experimental laboratory and lights evacuated tubes with no wires, demonstrating WIRELESS power transmission.

* In 1892, Tesla discovers X-RAY RADIATION three years before they are rediscovered by Willhelm Roentgen. Also in the same year, the first Polyphase Power System is installed and Tesla is granted 40 patents, thereby locking in his rotating magnetic field principles and polyphase power distribution.

* In 1893, Tesla demonstrates a Wireless Transmitter/Receiver system (RADIO) in St. Louis two years before Marconi's first demonstration.

* Westinghouse and Tesla provide AC power to light the 1893 Chicago's World's Fair. (In anger, Edison forbids the use of his light bulbs).

* Tesla generates 1,000,000 volts using a conical air-core Tesla Coil. He later achieves 16 foot discharges (lightning) in his New York City lab. That’s ONE MILLION VOLTS in 1894.

* In 1895, Tesla harnesses Niagara Falls, the 1st commercial 2-phase power plant, built by Westinghouse, designed to deliver power to the industries of Buffalo, NY.

* Also in 1895, fire completely destroys Tesla's laboratory, ruining his life’s work. Some say his early experiments with what others would call death rays, probably was the cause.

* In 1898, Tesla demonstrates a wireless controlled boat. But, he is unable to interest the military. He also develops an electric igniter for Gasoline Engines, the ignition coil, basically the same automobile ignition system used today.

* In 1899, Tesla begins his Colorado Springs research with WIRELESS TRANSMISSION of messages and electrical power. Frightening stories of Tesla’s experiments with man-made balls of lightning being projected from his lab, and citizens being electrocuted from unknown sources still remain today.

* In 1900, Tesla begins building the Wardenclyffe Transmitter, a 200 KW system, helped funded by $150,000 from J. Pierpont Morgan. Tesla’s intentions are to intensify his Colorado Springs experiments, but he tells Morgan the system is strictly for global radio communication, and purposely hides its other objectives. Later that year he was issued patents for methods of transmitting wireless energy.

* In 1903, his patents #723,188 and #725,605, contain the basic principles of the logical AND circuit element basic to all computers.

* In 1904, Marconi is awarded the patent for radio and Tesla begins his fight as the original inventor.

* In 1906, Tesla creates the 200 hp, 16,000 RPM Bladeless Turbine.

* In the financial panic of 1907, Westinghouse struggles and asks Tesla to release them from paying royalties on every induction motor they make. They also convince Tesla to sell his royalty rights to Westinghouse for $216,000, (worth millions at the time) and the Westinghouse Company survives.

* 1908 - A massive blast occurs in the Tunguska region of Siberia that exploded with a force of 10 to 40 megatons of TNT and devastated 2,000 square kilometers of forest. Initial reaction was that a meteor was responsible, although ground zero was investigated with no sign of an impact crater. Some believe it was the result of a Tesla experiment gone horribly wrong, or right, depending on your point of view.

* In 1909 Marconi wins the Nobel Prize for his invention of the Radio. Tesla is furious that Marconi got the prize, and intensifies his long battle to correct the injustice.

* In 1910, Tesla's 100-5000 HP bladeless turbines are tested in Waterside Power Station, New York

* In 1915, Tesla signs over the Wardenclyffe deed to George Boldt, proprietor of the Waldorf-Astoria, to pay a $20,000 debt, and to help fund his continuing lawsuit against Marconi.

* In 1916, Tesla declares bankruptcy, owes back taxes, is penniless and living on credit at the Waldorf-Astoria.

* In 1917, Irony prevails as Tesla receives the Edison Medal, the most prestigious honor the AIEE can bestow upon an engineer.

* In 1928, Tesla receives his last US patent (#113) at age 72, "Apparatus for Aerial Transportation" - similar to a helicopter or VTOL aircraft. He also had 221 World Patents and was involved with, or helped influence countless others.

* 1931, Tesla turns 75 and is honored by being on the cover of Time Magazine, and received congratulations from more than 70 pioneers in science and engineering including Albert Einstein.

* 1935 - 15 out of 16 of Marconi's Patent claims on the radio are invalidated by the Court of Claims and Tesla is acknowledged to have been prior inventor on these portions of Marconi's patent. But legal red tape drags on and is eventually reviewed by the US Supreme Court.

* 1943 - Tesla dies in room 3327 in the Hotel New Yorker on January 7, 1943 at the age of 87. The FBI orders the Office of Alien Property to seize Tesla's papers and possessions although Tesla was a U.S. citizen since 1891. The papers and scientific work were eventually released and inherited by Tesla's nephew, Sava Kosanovich, and are now housed in the Nikola Tesla Museum in Belgrade, Yugoslavia.

* 1944 - Tesla is finally awarded the Patent for Radio. The US Supreme Court confirms that Marconi’s patents infringed on Tesla's earlier designs, and Tesla finally wins … one year after his death.

* 1956 - The TESLA, a new unit of magnetic flux density in the metric system, is named in Nikola Tesla's honor. The new unit is equivalent to 10,000 Gauss.

http://teslamania.delete.org/frames/tesla.html

http://www.yurope.com/org/tesla/uvode.htm

http://www.rotten.com/library/bio/mad-science/nikola-tesla/

http://www.tfcbooks.com/articles/ntbio.htm

http://www.pbs.org/tesla

http://www.sumeria.net/tech/tesla.html

http://www.authorsden.com/rigby

The Museum of Nikola Tesla is in Belgrade, at 51 Proleterskih brigada street (at the corner of Proleterskih brigada and Prote Mateje streets). It was founded in 1952, and opened for visitors on October 20th, 1955.

• 1 year later...

The questions were asked, "was Tesla really a quack or have we forgotten some very powerful ideas? Have his theories been tested to scientific standards?"

First of all, Tesla was not a "quack." And yes, society has forgotten the promise held in particular by Tesla's "World Wireless System."

Rigorous scientific investigations into his theories have been performed numerous times over the years since his death in 1943. They show the devices and methods he proposed and placed his signature to actually do work.

To clarify a few items, one cannot, "easily stand in the middle of [an] arc storm and not feel a thing." Also, the transmission of electrical energy by means of Schumann Cavity resonance, i.e., energy transmission by means of a concentric spherical shell waveguide is, unto itself, totally unworkable.

On the other hand, the Earth resonance technique actually developed by Tesla may be possible, a feasibility study using a sufficiently powerful and properly tuned Tesla coil earth-resonance transmitter being called for.