Re-Post

us2u

Perhaps the postcounter should be clickable showing an explanation. Anyways:

1) Hi

2) The counter counts only posts in the scientific fora. The introduction thread you posted in is in the general discussion section which does not count as a scientific forum. Well, perhaps the "only scientific forums count" is not completely correct - afaik, posts in the politics section are also counted. Anyways, the message is: In some subforums, your posts don´t count towards the postcount. So what you experienced is not a forum bug but the result of a setup the admins have decided upon at some time in the distant past.

Cheers Atheist..I was interested in that post about over millions of years has our planet gained a considerale amount of mass..I guess if it is correct to be noticeable over millions of years say since the dino days could we be in effect closer to our sun causing Global warming?...

And maybe mans chemicals are not the cause...mind you I just don't know so I hope some experts on here can detail...us2u

Cheers Atheist..I was interested in that post about over millions of years has our planet gained a considerale amount of mass..I guess if it is correct to be noticeable over millions of years say since the dino days could we be in effect closer to our sun causing Global warming?...

And maybe mans chemicals are not the cause...mind you I just don't know so I hope some experts on here can detail...us2u

i am not an expert, but;

the age of the Dino's began 240 millions years ago and ended 65 MYA. during this period the earth is thought to have been quite warm certainly by todays standards.

global warming and cooling is primarily the effect of the sun, through the atmosphere. this can effect temperatures and climates. also the planet has some built in heat through its core. technically the planet is in a ten thousand year warming trend, from a mini ice age. say normal is -0-, in the temps at there coldest 10k years ago were about -7 or -8 and lets give the dino age a +10. from 8,000 BC to now the temperatures have see sawed a degree or two many many times increasing a fraction each see saw and is about +1/2 now. global warming is a good thing and cooling has caused many more problems over the years.

if your concern is with environmentalist and their version of mans actions as to atmosphere, come back at me. but the weight or mass of earth could not have slowed the planet to any measurable degree. we do inch closer over all every century or so but our somewhat elliptical orbit already takes us closer and further w/o any apparent problem, so long as atmospheric condition hold. this is now 77 and 21% nitrogen and oxygen.

That's really awesome info Jackson cheers fo that... boy you really know what you are talking about....I don't want a pop at eviromentalist, just I was thinking are they correct in getting into a panic or is this warming kind of natural I just thought it seemed like panic mongering!...

And maybe there is different evidence for our planets seasons getting hotter?..also I believe our whole universe is expanding so my guess is p'

haps we will all freeze eventually... & living on our planet, I guess will be inhabitable for life, as we know it...just my thoughts..us2u :)

For some unknown reason to me this forum has said I've never posted well I did say Hi to all yesterday so Hello again...us2u :)

Let me guess: you re-registered because your login didn't work/said you weren't a user.

It might be because your old user name is us.2u (254 posts)

You are prob'y quite correct Swansont...but never mind starting again is o.k. I see you are an expert in Physics (Total Respect)..

I've got really interested in various subjects here some to me seem rather speculative although I guess it's always good to question within reason I guess that's how we learn..which I love learning new sciences to do with Astronomy everyday...

I see they think they may have actually found running water on Mars & even maybe primitive Bacterial life-forms...oh well why not...some think that this could challange religion but I just stay open minded I find that way rather than get set into a personel view I don't get involved in heated arguments..

Mind you I guess a lot of life is speculative even with what we thought was hard evidence in time has proved contary..so I believe to be unopiniated maybe easier...so for now I believe in being unassuming...but love Astronomy...us2u

That's really awesome info Jackson cheers fo that... boy you really know what you are talking about....I don't want a pop at eviromentalist, just I was thinking are they correct in getting into a panic or is this warming kind of natural I just thought it seemed like panic mongering!...

And maybe there is different evidence for our planets seasons getting hotter?..also I believe our whole universe is expanding so my guess is p'

haps we will all freeze eventually... & living on our planet, I guess will be inhabitable for life, as we know it...just my thoughts..us2u :)

try being a little more optimistic. keep studying science & astronomy. things are not that bad and even if the earth retreats to an ice age, mankind will figure ways to survive. you may be the one to come up with an idea to solve some future unknown problem.

Hi Jackson...if Earth is threatened by natural disaster, I really do not believe we as men are able to reverse the threat....That said, I guess man will prob'y know or estimate when this could seriously happen...I suppose colonies on moonbase & other planets will be the future of mankind..

And through mans intelligence will learn to adapt & use materials for his progress as we do on this planet..maybe like a sci-fi story only this time not a story but 'fact' living for survival..

I do not mean to sound pessimistic but just looking at probabilities into the future...hopefully our children will inherit this Earth & hand it down to their children for Generations of centuries yet to come..

Now hopefully that is my sheer optimism but none of us will have a clue about Earths near future..I'm too skeptical to believe in paralell universes I think or believe speculation belongs to Romantists,poets & the like!

Unfortunately alot of events & life are extremely abhorrent on this planet but I guess that is far outweighed by all the Beautiful things that can & do happen with our planet!

But really I believe man has his desire & quest for his own survival & will far outlive this planet Earth...us2u

we currently know there is a rather large asteroid headed our way and will pass first in 2029 headed for the sun, obit the sun and head back for an close encounter in 2034. think its 34 km or about 22 miles wide.

a hundred years ago we would have no idea this was coming or any idea what to do. today we know about it can estimate its going to be close and have 22 years to plan and do something about it. by then and probably well before, we will have a means to deal with any possible contact.

if Yellowstone decides to blow its top, we have a good idea what will follow.

we also believe there will be a year or to prepare and this event though disruptive will cause little or no loss of life and there are plans to help remove its atmospheric effects in very short order.

the only thing i know of that could take mankind by surprise would be a massive solar flare. even this will be seen and take a few weeks to arrive allowing for some action.

the very worst scenarios would be the loss of the moon which is inching away from earth or the loss of the sun. these things are going to happen, but should be billions of years off.

our real problems are here on earth with such small things as a virus or some disruption in the food chain. these things have caused problems for world populations of one or two billion, its thought many times in the past. influenza out breaks kill off a few million each year and major outbreaks up wards of 30 million every so often. if the 1919 outbreak occurred today it would take out an estimated 50-60 million. the food chain is as critical in many places on earth today where entire national or regional crops are wiped out with a single drought. talking now in terms of 6.5 billion and in 50 years 13 billion people such disruptions in crop or animal foods (mad cow-uneatable fish etc) could feed off each other and have a backward chain reaction.

the problems i have with moon based or other planet settlements are these things can be done on earth, since the worst of the worst would simply make earth like the moon or mars, in the first place. although i favor exploration and even bases for this elsewhere, long term or emergency places to maintain existence can be established right here on earth. dome cities is one i like and feasible today.

Probably not..but will probably miss us anyway,as Earth has existed for billions of years..I don't personally think an asteroid headed this way is too much to worry about....Here is some footage by Reutersw on C.N.N. NEWS

Giant asteroid could hit Earth in 2014

Tuesday, September 2, 2003 Posted: 11:38 AM EDT (1538 GMT)

Artist's impression of asteroid over Earth

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Story Tools

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RELATED

• 2003 QQ47: Earth Impact Risk Summary

PopSci.com: Will hobbyists save world from killer asteroids?

YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS

Near Earth Object

2003 QQ47

or Create your own

Manage alerts | What is this?

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- A giant asteroid is heading for Earth and could hit in 2014, U.S. astronomers have warned British space monitors.

But for those fearing Armageddon, don't be alarmed -- the chances of a catastrophic collision are just one in 909,000.

Asteroid "2003 QQ47" will be closely monitored over the next two months. Its potential strike date is March 21, 2014, but astronomers say that any risk of impact is likely to decrease as further data is gathered.

On impact, it could have the effect of 20 million Hiroshima atomic bombs, a spokesman for the British government's Near Earth Object Information Centre told BBC radio.

The Centre issued the warning about the asteroid after the giant rock was first observed in New Mexico by the Lincoln Near Earth Asteroid Research Program.

"The Near Earth Object will be observable from Earth for the next two months and astronomers will continue to track it over this period," said Dr Alan Fitzsimmons, one of the expert team advising the Centre.

Asteroids such as 2003 QQ47 are chunks of rock left over from the formation of the solar system 4.5 billion years ago. Most are kept at a safe distance from the Earth in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter.

But the gravitational influence of giant planets such as Jupiter can nudge asteroids out of these safe orbits and send them plunging towards Earth.