landing a job in astronomy.

dstebbins

I'm an aspiring astronomer/astrophysicist/etc who is about to graduate from high school and go to college. The problem is that I was just searching usajobs.com and monster.com looking for jobs as physicists, but the only ones I could find were "monitering CIA sattalites" or "drug chemists," none of which interest me in the slightest. It made me think for the first time: What if I can't find a job to match my future PhD? Does anyone know where I might find a job as an astronomer or an astrophysicist or a quantum mechanic? Or rather, would I be more likely to land a job as a professor at my university? If so, would I need to double major with a teaching degree like a high school teacher would?

"Physicist" is not the sort of job you will find online. You'll probably find work through your graduate school, and it will very likely be working for a university somewhere. There is not a lot of private or government interest in astronomy, doesn't really make much money. There is some of course, most would be academic research though.