Negative and Positive

aommaster

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there can be no deffinitive opposite of a cat, as to have an "opposite" you must deal with finites.

in this instance NOT a cat would be the logical answer, however flawed.

Opposites (true) deal with Finites. matematics or geometry.

`A `maybe said to be the Opposite of `B` or Geometricaly Opposed.

for a Cat ANY cat (and therein lies the problem) the Opposite may not be correctly applied :)

Q. since gravity is derived from space being curved,would it have an oppisite were space had a distribution of matter with no intrinsic mass. can there be a anti gravity? cause the only apparent thong with no oppisite is gravity...............

YT2095 said in post # :

you present an iteresting idea when talking about a specific color, phase cancelation with addative or subtractive synthesis of color would be interesting from a semantic point of veiw, it could be argued that it would be the opposite of Green, infact it would be a conflicting waveforn, peak to trough in anti-phase. the true opposite it black though, you`de be simply providing a means to obtain black :)

wot? :confused:

since gravity is derived from space being curved,would it have an oppisite were space had a distribution of matter with no intrinsic mass. can there be a anti gravity? cause the only apparent thong with no oppisite is gravity...............

hmmm.... maybe the opposite of gravity could be a force that pushes you away from matter and not towards it. Maybe it could have an opposite effect?

mass is a bit like weight, matter has volume.

for most instances when talking in terms of that contain gravity in the positive mass can sometimes be replaced with the term weight. in zero G however a body is said to have MASS but no weight :)

Except that if you have antimass you have to have antigravity...?

MrL_JaKiri said in post # :

There is an antigravity, that is derived from the interaction of antimass (NOT ANTIMATTER, that's a positive mass with a reversed charge, but antimass; negative energy) with normal mass.

aommaster said in post # :

ok. MrL_JaKiri said antimass and NOT antimatter. What is the difference between mass and matter. Doesn't matter make up mass?

Matter is the 'stuff' in question. Mass is a quantity of the stuff.

It's like saying that people are made of tall to say that mass = matter.

Sayonara³ said in post # :

Except that if you have antimass you have to have antigravity...?

At it's very simplest,

F = GmM/d^2.

For real distances, d^2 will be positive, and G IS positive, so obviously you'll get negative values if m and M have a different sign.

Radical Edward said in post # :

surely if M or m have a different sign. M and m would just give you a positive again. aah, reminds me of Dirac.

Positive times negative equals negative duder.

Your brain isn't on today.

P*P=P

P*N = N

N*N = P

Anti-Grav and Anti-Mass are synonamous. Anti-mass experiments have been performed by creating an intense magnetic field around an object freeing it of the effects of gravity (this was done terrestrialy). Though I really don't believe "anti" is the proper term for the absence of, but should instead be reserved for things that come into conflict or stand in opposition.

CBC said in post # :

Anti-Grav and Anti-Mass are synonamous. Anti-mass experiments have been performed by creating an intense magnetic field around an object freeing it of the effects of gravity (this was done terrestrialy). Though I really don't believe "anti" is the proper term for the absence of, but should instead be reserved for things that come into conflict or stand in opposition.

That's not what I'm talking about at all, and as far as I've heard that's quackery from russia.

MrL_JaKiri said in post # :

Positive times negative equals negative duder.

Your brain isn't on today.

P*P=P

P*N = N

N*N = P

exactly duder, which is why only one of M and m can be positive, zou said:

For real distances, d^2 will be positive, and G IS positive, so obviously you'll get negative values if m and M have a different sign.

the and should be an or I reckon :)

btw I reckon the duder meme is the new sup.