Would you recommend your grad/postdoc advisor?

Guest lusidar

Guest lusidar

Hey guys,

I am a former scientist that wants to help out new grad students and post-docs find the perfect advisor for their needs. Personally, I had a great Ph.D. advisor but then I had an awful post-doc advisor. In fact it pushed me out of science and into a new career. I found out too late that primary investigator prestige shouldn't be your only criteria when looking for an advisor. I should have also considered personality match, mentoring style, expectations, etc.

I've created a website where current and former students/post-docs can rate their mentors and prospective students/post-docs can read reviews.

It's a brand new site and I'm trying to build up the reviews database so that it will be useful for future scientists. Help me out! Come to my site and rate your science boss.

Thanks,

Alan

Oof, skirting the line on advertising, but I'll let it stand if we can turn this into an interesting thread. I'm dealing with this issue myself and would love to hear other people's PhD mentoring stories (good and bad).