Cap'n Refsmmat

Do you know what a refsmmat is?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you know what a refsmmat is?

• Of course I don't know!
    • Well... I have a little clue.
    • I know! I know!
    • This can only be settled with a fight to the death

Your disputing that Ed Pavelka has an opinon?

Well this will be an interesting discussion then.

I've found a link to his words:-

http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/history/oral_histories/PavelkaEL/ELP_5-9-01.pdf (copy & paste into url)

He fails utterly to mention John Llewelyn, unlike Gene Kranz who's book your referencing (Failure is Not an Option: Mission Control from Mercury to Apollo 13 and Beyond) the evil baby eating lier.

Your disputing that Gene Kranz has an opinion?

I quote, "The Captain was born during a discussion between John Llewellyn and a newcomer to the Flight Dynamics Branch. Standing by the coffee pot, the rookie asket Llewellyn the name of a controller who had just placed an IOU in the cup next to the pot. Llewellyn responded instantly, "Sheeet, man--that's Captain Refsmmat, the ideal flight controller! He's the best we've ever had in the Trench."

So that is how Refsmmat came to be. Maybe Kranz WAS doing a morale-booster of some sort, and when he remembered the Cap'n, then it was drawn. Sound good?

Yes, I'm disputing Gene Kranz opinion. He wrote a book to make money, his memory is not perfect. Follow the true works if you like, call it gospel and preach the word to the masses.

My substanciating evidence link is to NASA, in case anyone was wondering. You know, NASA, the people who did the stuff Crazy Kranz is dribbeling on about in his book.

I don't like his name. Rhymes with pant's you see.

Seriously, Kranz has a vested interest in glamming up his 'Adventures in the world of NASA', the fact's are played loose and fast. He's entertaining enough but elastic with the finer details. At a basic level, he want's to sell his book and for people to idolise him. He doesn’t give a stuff who came up with which idea, so long as it makes a good anecdote.

Kranz’s view of events cannot overrule NASA’s credibility, he’s just one man delving into his own memory. He’d not a team of internal researches pawing through records and testimonials to create a legacy of NASA’s work.

My link to NASA archive material should not be ignore in such a blasé way. My opinion is not representative of any of my former employers recollections of events, and neither is Kranz’s recollections of something that happened 30 years previously. NASA is a bit more capable than your saying they are, they invented the moon car you know.

atinymonkey said in post # :

I don't like his name. Rhymes with pant's you see.

Seriously, Kranz has a vested interest in glamming up his 'Adventures in the world of NASA', the fact's are played loose and fast. He's entertaining enough but elastic with the finer details. At a basic level, he want's to sell his book and for people to idolise him. He doesn’t give a stuff who came up with which idea, so long as it makes a good anecdote.

Kranz’s view of events cannot overrule NASA’s credibility, he’s just one man delving into his own memory. He’d not a team of internal researches pawing through records and testimonials to create a legacy of NASA’s work.

My link to NASA archive material should not be ignore in such a blasé way. My opinion is not representative of any of my former employers recollections of events, and neither is Kranz’s recollections of something that happened 30 years previously. NASA is a bit more capable than your saying they are, they invented the moon car you know.

Do you have proof of this?

I did read that NASA archive. Did you read my suggestion?