Topics inviting comment

CBC

There are three questions I would like to pose, remembering that I am no expert:

1) Why is it not possible to create an artificial magnetsphere around a spacecraft and then focus the resulting charged ion plasma stream as a form of propulsion?

2) What effect will the changing Earth's magnetsphere have on near collision objects trajectories, like Toutatis, which have their own chaotic pole fluctuations?

3) Is it wise to allow the comet sample from Wild 2 (probe:Stardust) to land in the Utah desert in 2006 , when it could be possible for some form of life to have originated in the highly irradiated spaceways? Why not put the spacestation to a purpose for which it is ideally suited?

Please feel free to offer answers/ideas to some or all of my questions.

2) magnetics will play little to no part in massive objects on a collision course with us, our magnetosphere is great at routing charges particles though, and they would present quite a danger to us in their own right were we not to have such a magnetosphere.

1) Even if the plasma stream was directed towards an object with a greater mass? I understand that the initial energy cost would be massive, but could the resulting energy travelling the length of the field be harnessed to continue to fuel the field? I understand this would only be an "in system" propulsion device due to the necesity of solar interaction.

CBC said in post # :

There are three questions I would like to pose, remembering that I am no expert:

1) Why is it not possible to create an artificial magnetsphere around a spacecraft and then focus the resulting charged ion plasma stream as a form of propulsion?

2) What effect will the changing Earth's magnetsphere have on near collision objects trajectories, like Toutatis, which have their own chaotic pole fluctuations?

3) Is it wise to allow the comet sample from Wild 2 (probe:Stardust) to land in the Utah desert in 2006 , when it could be possible for some form of life to have originated in the highly irradiated spaceways? Why not put the spacestation to a purpose for which it is ideally suited?

Please feel free to offer answers/ideas to some or all of my questions.

1)They did use ion propulsion on one of those probes. It worked, but not that way.

2)Unless they are made of metal, nothing would happen. People with pacemakers would have some problems, though.

3) They thought about that in Apollo. They quarantined the crew for several weeks, in case they brought something back. Nothing did.