Nitrogen Oxides and Acid Rain

bio90

What is understood by the term 'atmospheric nitrogen'? Does it refer to nitrogen as N2, or to nitrogen oxides?

And through what type of mechanism would acid rain be formed from this atmospheric nitrogen?

I've been trailing through textbooks and internet sites all afternoon with niot much avail! So any help at all would be appreciated =)

• 6 months later...

I'm pretty sure atomospheric nitrogen refers to N2. However, acid rain is formed from nitrogen oxides, not by atmospheric nitrogen. When nitrogen dioxide (NO2) reacts with water, you get nitric acid (HNO3) and nitrous acid (HNO2).

H2O + 2NO2 --> HNO3 + HNO2

N2 is classed as atmospheric nitrogen (about 78% of air), NOx is formed from atmospheric air either by bacterial action of extreme heat (car engines) and that caused by electrical discharges (Lightening), when it combines with the O2 in the air (about 21%).

This always confused me. Isn't NOx an important natural fertilizer when caused by lightning? But people complain about manmade NOx being acid rain.

NOx is an important natural fertilizer for plants, and is also created from ammonium compounds by nitrifying bacteria. But nitrates are very soluble, and only really of use when dissolved in the soil, when they are present in the atmosphere is when they begin to cause real problems.