Why eat water-soluble vitamins?

grayfalcon89

This was in our review for test Friday, and well, I don't quite understand what my teacher's answer was.

Q: Why is it important to eat foods that contain water-soluble vitamins every day?

He said: Excess vitamins get out of body by urine, and you need to refill them (?).

Is that right? How? I thought that you needed to have "water-soluble" ONLY because large percent of body is water (didn't really understand why you need to consider "excess" part; I thought "excess" occurred if you took more vitamins than required in tablet :D ).

yes, it water soluble, but water moves through our bodies very quickly (relative to fats). We constantly have to drink and urinate daily, and that water will carry water soluble vitamins straight through our system.

Fats on the other hand stay where they are (to the misfortune of dieters). This has the effect that fat soluble vitamins do not have to be replenished as often.

Do you understand?