chess

Enoch

the crab.

No one expects it, and no-one can look up in a book of openings what the best response to it is, so they have to think for themselves.

admitedly, the reason they can't look it up in a book is because any book on openings simply says 'the crab is crap, don't use it' :D

the crab is 1.a4 2.h4

I like the St.George Defense, in which black replies with 1...a6

But seriously, I tend to play the Indian systems (1.d4 Nf6), or the Sicilian (1.e4 c5)

The reason the Crab is crap is because you aren't occupying or influencing the center in any way, but you probably already knew that.

Hehe, good old crab. The best response is "anything else."

To (sort of) answer to the question, my openings are usually pretty boring and predictable (d4, nf6, bla bla). Then again, openings in general are the "boring and predictable" part of chess, so I won't apologize.

To (sort of) answer to the question, my openings are usually pretty boring and predictable (d4, nf6, bla bla).

You should try the Benko Gambit : 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 b5. This kind of game, while "strategic" does offer excitement in the fact that you boldly sacrifice a pawn in order attack on the queenside. Other fun openings include the Smith-Morra Gambit: 1.e4 c5 2.d4 cxd4 3.c3 dxc3 4.Nxc3. This opening, by white, sacrifices a pawn in order to get a huge lead in development. It can be quite dangerous if Black isn't careful.

Then again, openings in general are the "boring and predictable" part of chess, so I won't apologize.

Well, its clear you don't play chess a lot. Though openings do have some basic pattern, it does require a lot of diligence, study, practice, and originality to master this part of the game. And opening theory is constantly changing, and new variations are out very frequently.

Diligence, study, and practice, I'll agree with. But originality? Memorizing the "best" response to a few hundred permutations? Blech. I prefer puzzles. I can really sympathize with Fischer Random chess.

you do need originality to play the opening, especially at my level ;). You also need it when the amateurs make opening mistakes or deviate from mainstream theory (as they often do). The only memorization you have to do is the basic opening lines and the strategies and ideas behind them. My advice is to only specialize in a couple of openings or so, and just know the basic ideas for the rest of them.