Such a product? -- memory wire

Guest pflip

Guest pflip

I'm looking for a source for "memory wire" -- a wire that you can bend and shape in any way you like, then expose to heat (or something) and it will return to it's original shape (which I would like to be straight). I've done a little snooping online, and come across Nitinol Wire, which seems to have lots of medical applications. I've tried disecting the specs on this stuff and it's confusing.

Does anyone know of a source for something like this? Someplace where I could possible get some samples?

Many thanks.

when i think memory wire, i think of wire that you put in a shape and heat, and that becomes its new natural shape. no matter how you bend it after that it bends back.

i think thats what they use for dental bracers, isnt it?

ive never heard of anything like what your describing.

Guest pflip
yeah, try eBay, there`s normally plenty on there.

The stuff on ebay is for making jewelry -- not really what I'm looking for.

when i think memory wire, i think of wire that you put in a shape and heat, and that becomes its new natural shape. no matter how you bend it after that it bends back.

Yes, that's closer to what I'm looking for. Ideally, I would want something that goes back to being straight. So, for example, one could take this straight piece of wire, bend it into any kind of shape and it will stay, until it's subject to a temperature at which time it would revert back to straight. Ideally, it would be nice if the temperature were lower rather than higher -- like you would put it in your freezer to initiate it's change.