what are the pros and cons of line item veto

howareyou

Hello, how are you?

Could you please help me with this question, what are the pros and cons of a president having the power of line item veto?

I think one bad thing is that this would cause a change having to be made to the constitution, and i don't think this would be a good idea because then this would open the door to make aditional changes to the constitution, also it would affect the role the congress plays, the president would not need much of the congress.

but also as president clinton said, this is good because helps to control wasteful spending which congress like to give aways to their districts.

I'd really appreciate your help, i need somebody to guide me.

thanks

Hello, how are you?

Could you please help me with this question, what are the pros and cons of a president having the power of line item veto?

I think one bad thing is that this would cause a change having to be made to the constitution, and i don't think this would be a good idea because then this would open the door to make aditional changes to the constitution, also it would affect the role the congress plays, the president would not need much of the congress.

but also as president clinton said, this is good because helps to control wasteful spending which congress like to give aways to their districts.

I'd really appreciate your help, i need somebody to guide me.

thanks

Pros

Congress likes to include all kinds of unrelated stuff to bills all of the time. This way, a president can simply pick and choose what he wants and doesn't.

Cons

It is kind of unconstitutional, giving the president excessive power to essentially amend bills before they even get passed.

There should be some kind of fine print controlling this. If a part of the bill is not related to the overall package, then the line item veto should be allowable. If a part of the bill is a provision of a larger package, then it should only pass or fail. The details should be worked out before it gets to the president.

The main problem I see with line item veto is that bills passed by Congress generally represent a great degree of compromise.

With a line item veto, the president is free to obliterate that compromise and pass purely partisan legislation.

Unless the altered bill is to be resubmitted to Congress (thereby defeating the point of a line item veto. A regular veto coupled with a list of complaints suffices to those ends) the President is free to selectively pass whatever he wishes into law, ignoring the compromise entirely.

A line item veto is stupid and I'm glad SCOTUS declared it unconstitutional.