1. 1. Who would win out in a battle?

• Star Trek
    • Star Wars
    • Asimov's Foundation
    • Gundams
    • Battlestar Galactica
    • Babylon 5
    • Other (please specify)

Well millions is probably an exaggeration. But we know they have A LOT.

That's a little moot though, since any one ship could immediately drop out of a transwarp conduit and blow the frak out of the Death Star's primary weapon before anyone had a chance to press a button.

I know they have a lot of ships, and that would prove overwhelming. In order for them to defeat the death star efficiently they would have to know the blueprints for them though, much like the rebel alliance did. Otherwise taking out a starship the size of a moon would be quite a challenge, even with thousands of ships.

And then there is still the task of taking out an Empire that spans an entire galaxy. The Borg would pose a significant threat no doubt, but the Empire or Republic does have a considerable advantage in terms of numbers, weapon availability, and size. By comparison the Borg don't even have Delta Quadrant under their full control.

Can the Death Star reach warp 9.99?

You know, I think there was a YouTube video about Star Trek vs. Star Wars...

In the end, however, I'd vote for Spaceball One. Ludicrous speed!

edit: the Death Star uses a laser? I believe in one scene in Star Trek it is mentioned that lasers "wouldn't even penetrate our navigation shields."

Well, if it can blow up a planet, it is probably not a laser. A laser would just burn a whole through the planet.

trust you to ruin a perfectly Adult and serious issue of debate and make a mockery of it.

Hey, I'll have you know that nerds can get quite serious about this thing :P. I mean, come on, who doesn't take this seriously???

I know they have a lot of ships, and that would prove overwhelming. In order for them to defeat the death star efficiently they would have to know the blueprints for them though, much like the rebel alliance did. Otherwise taking out a starship the size of a moon would be quite a challenge, even with thousands of ships.

Getting hold of blueprints is one of the things the Borg do best.

And then there is still the task of taking out an Empire that spans an entire galaxy. The Borg would pose a significant threat no doubt, but the Empire or Republic does have a considerable advantage in terms of numbers, weapon availability, and size. By comparison the Borg don't even have Delta Quadrant under their full control.

The Borg do have significant advantages in terms of adaptive shielding, weapon power and variety, galactic transit time, and regeneration. It would just be a matter of time.

Also bear in mind that this species can assimilate whole planets in a matter of hours with just a single ship.

Well, if it can blow up a planet, it is probably not a laser. A laser would just burn a whole through the planet.

I think the idea is that the laser punctures the core, which does the rest. Mind you, very little of the technology in Star Wars is based on anything remotely credible, and the superlaser is firmly in the "what?" category. Check out the power requirements article on Wikipedia; it is quite entertaining.

Getting hold of blueprints is one of the things the Borg do best.

The Borg do have significant advantages in terms of adaptive shielding, weapon power and variety, galactic transit time, and regeneration. It would just be a matter of time.

Also bear in mind that this species can assimilate whole planets in a matter of hours with just a single ship.

True. I still believe that the Empire/Republic would win out in the long run, but it would be interesting to watch though. And given their method of assimilation, the length of time would depend on which planet they were trying to assimilate. I'm sure it would take much longer for them to assimilate a planet like Coruscant, or any high priority world which could offer a stiff resistance.

I think the idea is that the laser punctures the core, which does the rest. Mind you, very little of the technology in Star Wars is based on anything remotely credible, and the superlaser is firmly in the "what?" category. Check out the power requirements article on Wikipedia; it is quite entertaining.

Yeah, but thats true of any weapon system described in the choices I put above.

well i would say that isac asmov-s would be on best going . because they were fastest on science and they were ones that built all as small and good as anyone could (at that tech level) while using all optimal (well... if a death star would get there they would be in a bit of trouble but i assume that those two civ-s have co-existed for some time or at least known danger from one another.)

oh and same with all others ...

oh and asimov had hell of a good genes in population (well smart ones at least)

True. I still believe that the Empire/Republic would win out in the long run, but it would be interesting to watch though. And given their method of assimilation, the length of time would depend on which planet they were trying to assimilate. I'm sure it would take much longer for them to assimilate a planet like Coruscant, or any high priority world which could offer a stiff resistance.

With all those technological systems laying about the place, a world like Coruscant would fall just as quickly as any other. One atmospheric detonation of a nanoprobe bomb, and job done.

I don't really know what you mean by "stiff resistance". When did you last see a Republic Guard or Imperial Stormtrooper remodulating the shields, randomising the frequency of their blaster, or using technobabble as a weapon?

The Empire does have a massive starfleet, that much is true. But the Borg would only have to encounter one Star Destroyer on a single occasion, and they would adapt their shielding after receiving a few shots (and a few turbolasers hits are not going to do much damage to one cubic mile of self-regenerating ship, seeing as it took dozens of direct hits just to slow down a Corellian Corvette).

After that any Imperial ship encountering the Borg would be toast.

Yeah, but thats true of any weapon system described in the choices I put above.

Not all of them. On BSG for instance the weapon systems are physical slugs and explosives derived from extant technology, and the defence systems are entirely credible flak barriers.