I need to know this study

Mag

I cant remember this study, and Im going to use it in my research paper.

study was done:

people walked over a stable bridge or a rickety bridge, and on the other side was an attractive person of the opposite sex. The person on the other side of the bridge gave the participant their info, and said to call if they needed anything.

the people who walked over the rickety bridge, called far more than the people who didnt, and this is the idea that they falsely attributed their excitement to the attractive person, and not the bridge.

anyone know who did this and what it was called?

it would help immensely :)

thanks

Hi Mag,

Here is a link to the study you reference. It was conducted in 1974 by Dutton and Aron.

http://www.fpce.uc.pt/nucleos/niips/novoplano/ps1/documentos/dutton&aron1974.pdf

You can also google the term "Misattribution of arousal." Also, look up the work of Cindy Meston from the University of Texas at Austin. She did similar work to the bridge study, but expanded it to include general exercise, and also rollercoasters!

I was a research assistant for her while I was still in college, and we got to go to Six Flags all of the time to collect data. Loads of fun.

The same principle holds when taking your date to a scary movie, or driving fast. It gets their heartrate up and adrenaline pumping, so unconsciously they attribute that arousal to you.