Light?

Guest SwaggMan

Guest SwaggMan

I've been looking around the internet an so far ive found out that light is made of massless particles called photons. If light is massless how is it affected by gravity? ( black holes and gravitational lensing) If it does have mass, what happens to it when it goes out and can u trap the particles in a box an keep the light from going out? ive just been trying to think about it too much an it bugs me lol

SwaggMan

By general relativity, gravity is expressed by a distortion in 4 dimensional space, so light is affected even without mass

If you want to 'trap' light in a box, there's 2 easy ways.

1. Put a lamp in a box.

Typically, the light will be absorbed by the inner surface, which is sort of trapping. A better way (by a different interpretation) would be to have a box with the inside coated with mirrors.

2. Have a black hole inside the box.

What is the greatest efficiency of a mirror to date?

It would be nifty to sustain a laser inside a reflective box for a sizeable ammount of time... but there can't be much use for such an application.

It would be hard/impossible to measure without losing some of the light too, would it not?

light (the photon) is not without mass either :)

in fact we are struck by roughly a kilo and a half each day on our Earths surface of photons from the Sun :)

loking up the idea ans principals behind a "Solar sail" may aid in your qustions also :)

And it transfers that momentum to the sail, right?

If photons had mass, then as they passed through our cells, they would be like radiation, damaging them. If it had mass, windows probably would not let as much light through and would be very reflective.

To understand the trapping of light in a black hole, imagine the idea that gravity is like a dip in spacetime. The photon hit's the dip and cannot get out, like a coin in one of those wishing well thingies that sends it spinning around the rim of the hole, until it vanishes and cannot escape.

Cap'n Refsmmat said in post # :

If photons had mass, then as they passed through our cells, they would be like radiation, damaging them. If it had mass, windows probably would not let as much light through and would be very reflective.

No.

Mass doesn't equal ionisation potential; neutrinoes have mass, and pass through us nigh on constantly. Gamma rays don't have mass, and they cause damage (and are a form of light).

Furthermore, I don't think mass effects what can pass through objects, to any great degree.

Okay, I get the units... but I still don't understand how a massless particle can have momentum... also, how does a photon affect gravity w/o mass?

[edit]

Is there a 0kg * infinite something in that equation?

(Yah, sory bout the lower level fizziks, I skipt skule and went strate to jeenyus)

MrL_JaKiri said in post # :

You're wrong.

A photon is massless, but has momentum (de Broglie's equation).

then can you explain this? http://www.aip.org/enews/physnews/2003/split/625-2.html

another question, if a photon has energy, and energy =mass (as writen by Einstein). wouldn`t it make sense that a photon has mass, or the potential for it?

alt_f13 said in post # :

Okay, I get the units... but I still don't understand how a massless particle can have momentum... also, how does a photon affect gravity w/o mass?

Just look on it as one of those odd quantum effects.

And as per affecting gravity, according to GR gravity is caused by ALL energy, and EVERYTHING is affected by it. See Tom's post in another thread.

YT2095 said in post # :

then can you explain this? http://www.aip.org/enews/physnews/2003/split/625-2.html

What, that there's increasing proof of the photon having a zero mass?

Why the hell would I need to 'explain' something that states within the article that it supports my position?

YT2095 said in post # :

another question, if a photon has energy, and energy =mass (as writen by Einstein). wouldn`t it make sense that a photon has mass, or the potential for it?

That's you totally misunderstanding the E=mc2 relationship.

to me it states uncertainty, that`s all!

"Photon mass is expected to be zero by most physicists, but this is an assumption which must be checked experimentally."

so keep your hair on and put your eyes back in your head LOL ;)

"That's you totally misunderstanding the E=mc2 relationship. "

then would you care to eplain WHY it`s not the case?

Because if you convert a photon into mass, you will indeed get m by E=mc^2, but that doesn't mean that the photon HAS that mass.

E=mc^2 is the equation of proportionality which expresses how much mass is 'worth' as energy; it's commonly used, for instance, to find the nuclear binding energy, or to calculate the output of a nuclear reaction (the sum total mass of the products of nuclear fission is slightly less than that which it came from; you get the amount of energy produced by putting this mass deviation into E=mc^2).

Of course, that's ignoring momentum, but it doesn't really make a difference.

well I can certainly understand there being "losses" as there`s no perfect system ever and especialy with conversion of any sort.

but 100% loss?

also, I was watching a documentary about physics and photons and the Sun etc... and it clearly stated that we are hit by roughly 1.5 kilo of photons per day, what could they have meant? as they were quite specific.

YT2095 said in post # :

well I can certainly understand there being "losses" as there`s no perfect system ever and especialy with conversion of any sort.

but 100% loss?

I have literally no idea what you're talking about.

YT2095 said in post # :

also, I was watching a documentary about physics and photons and the Sun etc... and it clearly stated that we are hit by roughly 1.5 kilo of photons per day, what could they have meant? as they were quite specific.

They were wrong.

oh yeah, overlooked that, Loss.

any system of conversion has losses (at least all the one I can think of). electricity to light will have heat losses and magnetic losses and such.

you said "(the sum total mass of the products of nuclear fission is slightly less than that which it came from; you get the amount of energy produced by putting this mass deviation into E=mc^2)."

that reads to me like loss compensation.

since we`re doing it the other way around and trying to turn energy into Mass, I would expect therefore that there would be similar losses. that`s all :)