Telekinesis and Energy

ParanoiA

There are plenty of stories that use the power of telekinesis to some extent or another and I've always wondered just how exactly that's "supposed" to work, if that was possible. Particularly energy.

Would it be a manipulation of matter to cause a release of energy? Or would energy somehow be controlled directly? IOW, if I'm a "Fire Starter", like in King's old novel, what exactly is "supposed" to be happening that enables me to start a fire? Am I really controlling matter, causing molecules to vibrate or heat up and spark a fire, or could I really control fire itself? Sounds like I'm asking about the intent of the author, but I'm not actually.

I guess I need to understand energy better.

I think the common consensus amongst those that believe in psychokinesis (from a scientific perspective, not those that believe purely in the supernatural) is that the human brain and/or entire nervous system evolved a way to utilize "less studied" forms of energy or particles, such as dark energy, dark matter, neutrinos, exotic matter and other undiscovered and hypothetical matter and energy.

I suppose it certainly is possible from the evolutionary standpoint. It certainly would be massive advantage; the brain is replete with emergent properties, what would be one more?

Yet, however much it would be fascinating to be true, I believe it would have become quite apparently obvious if such properties of the human mind existed in this day and age. With over 6 billion individuals all competing to elevate themselves ever-so-slightly over others, and with so much information exchange across the world, how would this not be extremely obvious if it was true?