Have you ever heard of Knoxville?

CDarwin

I don't know if anyone will respond to this or not, but I've always been curious as to how many people have actually heard of Knoxville, Tennessee. "Heard of" would probably mean you know what state it's in, maybe broadly where it's located. More that just hearing the name somewhere.

It's a medium sized city. A good 300,000 in the metro area. We've made a few famous people. James Agee, Admiral Farragut, Nikki Giovanni, Jack Hanna... Trace Atkins... Yes, Johny Knoxville... Mountain Dew came from Knoxville. There's Knoxville marble in the Pentagon. The Knoxville Zoo was the first in the world to breed African Elephants in captivity. We had the World's Fair in '82. UT's here of course.

What about Knoxville, Iowa? They have the National Sprint Car Hall of Fame & Museum and the Knoxville Raceway dirt track.

I bet the other 4 Knoxvilles (Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, and Pennsylvania) have something in them, too.

But, seriously, CDarwin, did you just start working for the Tourism Board or something? There has to be some sort of back story why you'd start a post like this...

Although I have no idea what the point of this thread is...yes, I've heard of Knoxville, Tennessee.

While we're on the subject though, has anyone ever heard of Shoreham-by-Sea, Sussex. (UK)

It has the oldest licensed airport in the UK, and boasts a mini Hollywood, back in the early 1900's, Bungalow town, which was near a film studio running along Shoreham beach. It was home to actors and actresses, and others in the early UK film industry. Sadly this mini Hollywood lost momentum, and Shoreham has become as obscure as any other coastal town of South England.

Not meaning to derail your thread CDarwin, just interested if anyone has heard of Shoreham, given it's quite significant history.

Yes I have.

Unless there are members that don't live in the US and thus never really studied the cities, I doubt anybody here is that ignorant.

Well that's really what I was curious about, people outside of the US.

Although I have no idea what the point of this thread is...yes, I've heard of Knoxville, Tennessee.[/Quote]

Oh, there's no particular point. I was bored last night and this is something I've always been curious about.

While we're on the subject though, has anyone ever heard of Shoreham-by-Sea, Sussex. (UK)

I haven't I'm afraid.

Not meaning to derail your thread CDarwin, just interested if anyone has heard of Shoreham, given it's quite significant history.

That's quite alright. Derail away.

What about Knoxville, Iowa? They have the National Sprint Car Hall of Fame & Museum and the Knoxville Raceway dirt track.

I bet the other 4 Knoxvilles (Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, and Pennsylvania) have something in them, too.

They don't count. :P

But, seriously, CDarwin, did you just start working for the Tourism Board or something? There has to be some sort of back story why you'd start a post like this...

Well, it came out of a discussion we had at Governor's School a few months ago, and again, I was bored last night. I was also very tired, and I don't think quite as clearly when I'm tired. I must admit that now that I'm fully awake the thread does seem a might more silly, but I'm still curious.

Take 20 cities in China with more than a million people and 20 made up words that sound like Chinese cities and 98% of us wouldn't know which was which except for a couplel like Beijing and Shanghai. The same for many large India cities...Brazil cities and so on.

C Darwin:

"We've made a few famous people. James Agee, Admiral Farragut, Nikki Giovanni, Jack Hanna... Trace Atkins... Yes, Johny Knoxville..."

Are you trying to be funny? 'Famous? Never heard of any of them. 'Johny Knoxville'... is that cartoon spaceman? Ive heard of Jebediah Springfield...fellow who founded Springfield. :D

Where's this "Tennessee"?

Might be Texas, He mentions a U.T. I doubt they have universities in Tenessee....it's all that Beverly Hillbillies country and Montain dew. Jethro completed school and it only went up to grade 5.

Alright, alright, it was a stupid topic. Sorry for dirtying your general discussion forum. :P

"We've made a few famous people. James Agee, Admiral Farragut, Nikki Giovanni, Jack Hanna... Trace Atkins... Yes, Johny Knoxville..."[/Quote]

Just in case you're not kidding: James Agee was a writer and movie critic (he wrote African Queen), Admiral Farrgut was a Union admiral in the Civil War (he said "Damn the Torpedoes"), Nikki Giovanni is a poet, Jack Hanna is a famous zoo guy, Trace Atkins is a country singer, and Johny Knoxville was in Jackass. So there.

I used to live in Knoxville, TN, when I was younger. It is not too far from Oak Ridge, TN, which was the city behind the fence during the Manhattan Project. I really liked it there. Tennessee has more species of plants and animals of any state in the US, and may be way up there for any place on earth relative to species in that land size. The climate is four-seasons with long summers from May 1 to October 1. The winters are short but snow is inevitable. It is just a short drive to the Great Smokey Mountains.

It is one of the friendliest places to live .It is noted for its southern hospiltality and it is in the heart of the bible belt. Strangers say yaw'll, and many will often invite strangers to dinner just to be hospitable. The girls were babes, the living expenses were cheap and outdoor recreation was extensive due to the mountains and lakes. It is close to the massive TVA (Tennessee Valley Authority) dam and lake project that was built by the army corps of engineers. In the warm season they open the dams on a certain schedule so the rapids can used for white water sports. It is the home of the hillbillies, who often own large tracks of premo-land but live in little shacks. They are often suspicous of those revenuers. It is also the home of UT and the Tennessee Volunteers. In Knoxville, they fill their 100,000 seat statium every Saturday during football season. I was always amazed at the amount of extended community spirit in such a small city.

Alright, alright, it was a stupid topic. Sorry for dirtying your general discussion forum. :P

Just in case you're not kidding: James Agee was a writer and movie critic (he wrote African Queen), Admiral Farrgut was a Union admiral in the Civil War (he said "Damn the Torpedoes"), Nikki Giovanni is a poet, Jack Hanna is a famous zoo guy, Trace Atkins is a country singer, and Johny Knoxville was in Jackass. So there.

I've never been too up on the trivia of american culture. They might be some famous folks in the USA. Can you name the generals of the Spanish Civil War? Zoo guys in Canada?

How can someone be in a jackass? I thought that type of activity was illegal in the fundie states.

Yes, I've heard of Knoxville, but I certainly wouldn't call it a city. But then, I'm your typical arrogant New Yorker in a lot of ways.

Sounded like a nice place until someone mentioned Bibles and Football....ugh. Any town of 300,000 that fills a 100,000 seat football stadium must be quite the intellectual hotspot. :eek:

Rah,rah Jesus..Rah, rah Football. How come we can guess that it must be one of those states that voted for Bush and is near the top in obesity? ;)

Sounded like a nice place until someone mentioned Bibles and Football....ugh. Any town of 300,000 that fills a 100,000 seat football stadium must be quite the intellectual hotspot. :eek:

Rah,rah Jesus..Rah, rah Football. How come we can guess that it must be one of those states that voted for Bush and is near the top in obesity? ;)

Yeah, no one likes Canada anyway.