Honesty in Relationships Survey!!

amyrod26

Hello Everyone!

My name is Amy and I am a graduate student at the University of Rochester. I am writing because I am conducting an online relationship survey for my dissertation that some of you may find interesting! Any help you can give is greatly appreciated as I need at least 3000 people to participate and if you've ever done research you know how hard it is to get participants:) If you are interested in participating in the survey I have posted the details below. Please feel free to email me with any questions and I thank you in advance for your help!!!

The Honesty in Relationships Study:

1. Is voluntary and anonymous (or

confidential if participating

in follow ups)

2. Can be completed online

3. Is SHORT (takes 20-25 minutes)

4. Will offer you extensive

feedback on your personality

and your relationship.

- 5 empirically validated

dimensions of Personality and

Well-being

- 5 empirically validated

dimensions of Relationship

Quality / Functioning

5.Includes optional follow up

surveys

- Brief surveys (8-12 min)

- Occurring at 3, 6, 9, 12, 15

and 18 months after the initial

survey

CLICK HERE IF INTERESTED:

http://www.courses.rochester.edu/surveys/funk/honestyT0/index.htm

Thank you for your time and support!

Amy

Ronald D. Rogge, Ph.D. (My advisor's contact information)

Department of Clinical and Social Sciences in Psychology

University of Rochester

rogge@psych.rochester.edu

Honesty in relationship has objective and subjective factors. The objective factors of honesty are real situations and real data, that have occurred, since the relationship was solidified. What came before this, is somewhat optional, since it can be interpretted subjectively and cause problems. For example, you meet someone you have determine is a good person. If they tell you they were once in jail, you might stop judging them in real time, and start judging them subjectively via this retro data. This type of honesty may do less damage by not volunteering it, unless asked by someone who appears to be in a rational state of mind. If asked by a person with an irrational state of mind, retro honesty can be used to add fuel an irrational state of mind, carrying the past into the present.

There are certain things you want to know, but once you know them, this can cause an irrational fixation in some people. It brings the past outside the relationship, subjectively into the present relationship, and creating a false reality which can cause subjective problems for some people. Others can handle this in a more objective way, allowing them to see where you came from, and the things that you did and overcame, which have molded you, in who are are today. This type of person can usually handle negative retro.

There is also subjective honesty. If I like oranges and not apples, and someone bakes me a blue ribbon apple pie, and asked if I liked it, being honest, based on my subjective bias, can result in problems. Saying the pie was sickening, could be interpretted as the pie being substandard, and not the fact that control over my neurotic tendancies is substandard. The pie was sickening is not objective honesty, since it is based on some irrational foundation. In this case, if one says it was good, this is subjective dishonesty, but at least it does more good than harm. The addendum to this may be, I am neurotic and can not eat apples, with as much pleasure as I would like to, so one piece of pie is plenty. This adds healthy objective honesty, to a subjective honesty/dishonesty dilemma that is lose-lose.

The problem is, most people don't know where subjective and objective blend, either within themselves or within others. That being said, try to act in a way that does no objective honesty harm, and feedback subjective honesty in a way that edifies. Also try to overcome all your neurotic bias, by learning to live by the standards set by positive feedback.

There is also constructive feedback honesty that is partly objective and partly subjective. This type of honesty, for positive affect, requires tact. A guy may say, do you think I am losing my hair? He is actually saying is my getting bald making me less attractive in your eyes? One might say, you are not losing your hair, it is now growing on your back? Sometime humor works good with men since he will realize how silly he is being. You still can play like children in love.

The woman may ask, do you think this dress makes me look fat? She is asking am I getting too big such that I am less attractive to you? The guy would like her to lose some weight but doesn't want to be critical. The guy might say, you are beautiful and I love you more now. But maybe your right, that dress doesn't do you justice. Does it comes in a bigger size? Getting ready for damage control, but the seed has been planted.

Pioneer - I am guessing that you didn't bother to open the link and see that this is a student working with a professor trying to gather data to a set of questions, likely to research an existing hypothesis. Can I ask you, do you bother worrying about a thread's context before you insert your personal pet theories into them?

I almost didn't respond to you here, but I want to ensure other posters realize this thread was an attempt to increase a population sample and share some work being done by the OP. Your post disregards this completely, and I'm befuddled at how consistently you engage in this type of off-topic unsupported silliness.

Stepping off of my high horse now. Thanks for letting me borrow the soapbox. :rolleyes:

I suppose you would have to have had a relationship to participate and that "relationship" = romantic relationship?

Yes, this is definitely a survey where relationship implies romantic. The very first question is:

Are you:

• Married
  • Engaged
  • Dating Seriously
  • Dating Casually
  • Single

It does, at least, give a response choice of "single." ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, this is definitely a survey where relationship implies romantic. The very first question is:

Are you:

• Married
  • Engaged
  • Dating Seriously
  • Dating Casually
  • Single

It does, at least, give a response choice of "single." ;)

Well I didn't go to the survey... I wouldn't want to take up bandwidth in vain.