Stability in Structure

foodchain

Within chemical bonds and the nature of you find that reactions within certain aspects of the periodic table seem to work towards a "stability". Now I am not speaking directly of say the octet rule but really why elements seem to bond towards and affinity with stability. I have no idea actually why this occurs save what is stated. What I am basically getting at is that reactions with the elements will take place with what seems the reactions leading towards a stable structure in regards to say electronic configurations for instance, or what the octet rule itself might come from or applies. At first I pictured a see saw effect basically stemming from conservation of energy on what seems to be the easiest route to fulfill the octet rule, but after more study it seems as if the elements themselves seem to react as to reach possibly an inert state or really the configuration of other stable elements.

Its seems as far as I can understand such that such in itself seems to be a constant. So I guess my question really is what does this phenomena come from overall, and is such a constant universally regardless of environment?