HS PreAlgebra...

slackchad

You don't suck, you're trying to learn just like everyone else :)

By the equation you wrote, I assume it looks like :

[math] 2 - (-5) + 3^{2} [/math]

There are essentially two things you need to do to make this a simple adding problem. First, consider what happens when you subtract a negative number. If I have [math] 2 - (-2) [/math] , I really have [math] 2 + 2[/math]. Minus a minus is plus a plus, as they say. Second, you need to calculate three to the second power. Anytime you have some number or variable squared (squared meaning to the second power), it just means you have that number or variable multipled by itself. For example [math] 2^{2} = 2 * 2 = 4 [/math]. Or if you have [math] 2^{3} [/math], you really have 2 multiplied by itself 3 times, that is [math] 2 * 2 * 2 = 8 [/math]. Knowing this, you should be able to answer your problem, I hope that helps.

Im looking!!! ok I really am all about learning now.

Im sorring guys but I really dont know the steps that well, Its weird i Know like astronomy and legal stuff but i dont konw random math???? My mom wasnt able to help me and she registerd nurse?

nope 27! but u should learn how to do it too

This is wrong. :cool:

Im looking!!! ok I really am all about learning now.

Im sorring guys but I really dont know the steps that well, Its weird i Know like astronomy and legal stuff but i dont konw random math???? My mom wasnt able to help me and she registerd nurse?

First, decide, what is two minus negative five. If you look at hotcommodity's post, you will see this is two plus five. Then, you have to know that three squared equals three times three. Three times three is 9. So, you have two plus five plus nine...

The answer is?

Im sorry I guess I didnt notice posting easy questions was a problem. sorry its a problem to learn thanks to the first few who tried to teach.. someone tried to help you really helped out. Im pretty sure I got the right answer but im scared to post it now.. Yeah assholes... Thanks..

This is not right. Our goal is to help, not to make you afraid of us.

Guest026, your goal is not to give slackchad the answer with no explanation. iNow was on the right track trying to explain his answer. And I'd suggest you try a bit harder next time, anyway.

slackchad, I'm sorry this thread turned out this way. People are approaching these threads with the wrong attitudes and I don't like it.

slackchad, just ignore Guest026, he's new and isn't aquainted with the forums etiquette yet. i'm sure Cap'n will aquaint him with a copy of the rules and a vat of hot oil.

if you post your answer(and we want you to) provide your working. if we don't know how you got to your answer we can't tell you where you went wrong, that is if you went wrong at all.

Im sorry I guess I didnt notice posting easy questions was a problem. sorry its a problem to learn thanks to the first few who tried to teach.. someone tried to help you really helped out. Im pretty sure I got the right answer but im scared to post it now.. Yeah assholes... Thanks..

Hey slackchad, I was actually trying to protect you from thinking that those answers were correct, since they were not. If you took offense in any way from the manner in which I did this, then I clearly made a mistake and apologize to you completely.

Out of curiosity, were you able to arrive at an answer? Again, my intent was to help, so sorry for the miscommunication. :embarass:

You can memorize "Please excuse my dear aunt Sally".

That helps you remember "PEMDAS": first do whatever is in the Parentheses, then any Exponents, then multiplications, then any divisions, then any additions, then any subtractions.

For your original question, 2 - (-5)+ 3^2, first do the exponent: 3^2= 9, the additions 2+ 9= 11, finally, the subtraction: 11-(-5) is really the same as 11+ 5= 16.

• 2 weeks later...

Man sorry make sure the person has higher math skills then you before you take their advice. I'm 16. You think can't know much about algebra. I say I'm taking college algrebra Math105. You think this guy should know prealgebra. Now, using what HallsofIvory told you: solve this equation

(4--6)6^5=x

4--6=10

When you have two negatives they come together to make a positive--=+ iff there right next to each other.

Then go to the Exponents 6^5

6*6*6*6*6*6

use calc or your head

6*6=36

36*6=216

216*6=1296

1296*6=7776

Okay now you got that done. So your equation should look like this

(10)7776=x

x=77760

A much harder equation same method.

Tip: If you have a scientific Claculator there is a ^ button this means "to raise to" so you hit 5 then hit the ^ button the hit 2 then hit = or enter to get 25.

That first guy must have been worse at math than you.