The Jena 6

ParanoiA

Hanging nooses from a tree is not illegal. Beating people is.

I think the noose incident creates a hostile environment, and should have been dealt with. Oh, wait — it was. Those students were suspended. It sounds like a complete non-sequitur to the case at hand, meant to make the prosecution appear racist.

Does it? I don't know that to be the case, and I'm not convinced they didn't commit a regular crime, either. How about littering?

I ask again: Why isn't hanging a noose from a tree a hate crime?

How is hanging a rope a crime? Does it have to be a noose? And when does it become a noose rather than a loop for me to hold onto (with my hands) and swing with?

It requires historical reference and interpretation in order to find offense, so how is it a violation of anyone's rights? And not to mention the noose is a useful tool. Not just for hanging people.

Also, it's not illegal to be racist. It's not illegal to express racism either.

I'm not fond of anyone exercising this particular set of rights, but we have to be consistent here, and tolerant.

You think it takes that much logic to contruct grounds for a hate crime, ParanoiA? Seriously? That's entirely my point -- hate crimes legislation defies common sense.

This situation is teaching us how stupid those laws are, and we're not showing any sign at the moment that we're going to learn the lesson this time around either.

You think it takes that much logic to contruct grounds for a hate crime, ParanoiA? Seriously? That's entirely my point -- hate crimes legislation defies common sense.

especially considering many racist believe that their racism is rational and logical. I'm sure the more educated ones will try and use logic to justify it. It's not much hate, but a whole lot of ignorance.