Smell Cravings/ pica disorder

tina

Do you crave weird smells?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you crave weird smells?

• Do you like to smell household cleaners?
    • Do you like to smell unusual chemical fumes?

I am a 40 yr old female with a sudden craving for chemical smells. I don't know where this came from, but for some reason I'm severely craving smells. I can watch a commercial on household cleaners and my mouth just waters! I don't get high from the smells. I am not pregnant and I do not do drugs. I just can't get over this sudden urge to sniff everything that has harsh chemicals in it. I went to a tire store the other day to smell the tire showcase. I would drink Pine Sol, but I know it would hurt me. I want to eat dirt and love to get behind old trucks leaking black exhausts!! What is this all about?! I'm really concerned about this. I haven't resorted to eating any of these toxic materials, but the craving I have for them scares me!

whoa! That sounds weird

check this out even though you're not a kid http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/emotions/behavior/pica.html

The easiest way to solve this problem is to call the doctor like it says on the site. Unfortunately if you have a mental problem you should call a phyciartrist. (sorry cant spell). If you have a friend that could possibly lock away the chemicals and do the dishes for you, that would help a lot!

Anyway, it's perfectly normal (to a point). I mean sometimes you get an urge to sniff petrol or glue but all you have to do is to pinch yourself and you'll snap out of it.

It's not particularly unusual to experience a change in the nature, but your own is certainly a lot stronger than the majority would experience. I would suggest talking with your own doctor first and the request to be referred to a psychologist (not a psychiatrist...) to allow them to work out what's been happening with you.

I'd suggest a cognitive or perhaps humanist psychologist rather than freudian or jungian .. if you have the choice.

• 4 years later...

Hi, I am a Researcher and Writer and am currently researching for a potential documentary on people who suffer from the eating disorder, Pica. The documentary will help raise awareness to the disorder and hopefully help people who suffer from it. If you feel comfortable sharing your experience then please get in touch on here and I can give you more information.

Edited by LaurenClark4

LaurenClark4, none of the people in this thread have been active on the forum since 2009. I think Google deceived you.

Ok, I admit, it's worth a try anyway... but chances are small.

Personally, I only crave coffee in the morning.

No phosgene with your coffee?

No phosgene with your coffee?

Before my 1st coffee, I don't care what's in it. After my coffee, it's too late anyway.

But given the fact that, as a rule of thumb, I survive my cup of coffee, I think there's no phosgene in it (*). Why do you ask? And how far off topic shall we take this thread (which is already dead for 4 years)?

(*) edit, at least not in hazardous amounts... I know that the entire periodic table will be present in a cup of coffee, and the number of different organic molecules probably too much to measure.

Edited by CaptainPanic

Before my 1st coffee, I don't care what's in it. After my coffee, it's too late anyway.

But given the fact that, as a rule of thumb, I survive my cup of coffee, I think there's no phosgene in it (*). Why do you ask? And how far off topic shall we take this thread (which is already dead for 4 years)?

(*) edit, at least not in hazardous amounts... I know that the entire periodic table will be present in a cup of coffee, and the number of different organic molecules probably too much to measure.

It was merely a not funny joke. The thread was about sniffing/ingesting toxic chemical and you brought up coffee so...Once a thread has been "necromanced" they tend to wander and are hard to kill. They behave like zombies. Let's hope this thread dies again after this post.