Pictures, symbols or whole sentances.

the tree

When learning a new concept, do you prefer it to be stated simply as a set of equations, explained in English, or explained graphically?

My Algebra lecturer yesterday said that he wouldn't have any diagrams in the next couple of lectures because he feared that we wouldn't get it if we jumped straight into graphical representations, but I think he might have been projecting his learning style onto everyone else there.

edit grave apologies for the typo in the thread title, I'm aware of the implied hypocrisy but please be aware that Fx only spell checks <textbox>s

up to me, the graphical representation helps much more than simply explained or expressed in formulas. It is much easier to understand and remember, if the information is supported by pictures. Especially for some complicated topics. Though, for these topics it is not always possible :)

Has there ever been a treatise or whatever written entirely with math equations? Has anyone tried to do something like this? Or is it more or less impossible to "avoid" using English (or another written language)?

I think, Math is a language of Physics; and Physics is a description of real fenomena. So how we can unerstand anything using just formulas? Good understanding works in order: i) event (description & picture), ii) physics of event, iii) description in formulas. Not vice versa.

Has there ever been a treatise or whatever written entirely with math equations? Has anyone tried to do something like this? Or is it more or less impossible to "avoid" using English (or another written language)?

It should be possible to write a complete treatise in predicate logic. Those are mathematically precise, though they would not be equations.

It should be possible to write a complete treatise in predicate logic. Those are mathematically precise, though they would not be equations.

So this is possible -the non-use of English (or any other language)- and just equations or some meta-language instead? Has anyone actually tried to write a paper?

I like it explained in a Practical sense, real life type explanations.

pictures help and plain english works for me too.

Formula is a Last resort!

the way I see it is that if you can`t explain it to a 4 year old, you probably don`t understand it yourself properly or your deliberatly over complicating things to make yourself look smart.

When learning a new concept, do you prefer it to be stated simply as a set of equations, explained in English, or explained graphically?

I prefer new concepts explained in English first, then the equations with or without graphical representations, it depends on what I'm trying to learn. If I was learning definite integration for the first time for example, the equations should be presented with graphical representations IMO.

It really depends on the concept, and what level you're at.

I usually like a new idea or concept to be "motivated" or "roughly described" in English and maybe diagrams (depending upon the idea) first. However, it is not until you see the mathematics that you can say that you understand the idea, even then it may take a long time to fully understand.

Even if you understand the equations being used and can use them competently, it may be some time until you can say the you understand it. I'll be quite honest here, many things that I have used, I have only recently really understood them despite being able to reproduce formula and preform calculations for sometime. Some things just take a long time to make sense!

Yes, it should always be explained in plain English first, along with graphical representation where applicable. You should also be able to (and should be made to) explain in plain English what the equations represent at every step of the way. If you can't do that, you don't really know what you're talking about, and at best you're just playing a game with meaningless symbols.