80s music

Donnie Darko

Nice, I'm a fan of Duran Duran's hits, at least Rio, The Reflex, Ordinary World, and Hungry Like the Wolf.

I'm a big fan of new wave/darkwave in general. This includes Devo, Tears for Fears, Joy Division, New Order, Depeche Mode, The Cure, and about a billion one hit wonders like a Flock of Seagulls (two hit wonder), Crowded House, Modern English, Johnny Hates Jazz, Cutting Crew, Mr. Mister (another two hit wonder), and a number of non-New Wave bands like Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, and uhh, to continue... The Firm, Van Halen, Rush, Genesis, Triumph, Dire Straits...

I like the '80s

I was well and truly alive in the good ol' 80's. I still consider it one of the best decades for modern music. How many of these have you heard of?

The Cars, Killing Joke, Brian Eno, Iggy Pop, Supertramp, Elton John, Steve Winwood, Joe Jackson, Simply Red.

I can't say I like an entire era (the 80's in this case) of music, some tunes I like, some I don't. Here's a few that may spark some memories...Nick Kershaw, Adam and the Ants, Boomtown Rats, Ultra Vox, Wham, Level 42, UB40. I was born in the summer of 76, so I grew up in the 80's...personally I'm glad they're over. Just to note, I'm not particularly a fan of any of these, but I remember listening to Nick Kershaw, and Adam and the Ants when I was younger.

Simply Red, hmm, that would be a good description of the contents of my food blender, when I stick Mick Hucknall's stupid ginger head in it. I would rather staple my tongue to my kneecap, than listen to Simply Red. In short, I'm not a great fan of their work. No offense to you Fred.

Fred,

The Cars - Yeech. Awful.

Killing Joke - who?

Brian Eno- who?

Iggy Pop - with the Stooges. Awesome. Can't believe he is still alive. Looked to be at death's door 25 years ago (and still does)

Supertramp - marvelous. Actually the 70s.

Elton John - great in the 70s but was done by the 80s. was Mr/Ms pop by then and too into himself to make good music anymore.

Steve Winwood - in the 60s and 70s with other groups - yes. but by himself yeech

Joe Jackson - ok

Simply Red - rather listen to a cat being tortured

ecoli,

Genesis- absolutely, but Phil Collins by himself? YEECH. Peter Gabriel on the other hand was a genius (my op), but actually left Geneis by the mid 70s.

Oh, come on...

The Ramones, The Misfits, The Dead Kennedys, Suicidal Tendencies, NOFX, Sonic Youth... Some of these folks probably DID staple their tongues to their kneecaps. :D

...after listening to Simply Red.

I always attributed the latter bands to the early 90's, probably because I was quite heavily into anything with distorted guitars when I was 14. The Ramones had been going for a couple of years before I was even born.

Like YT said, emulator II or any sampling keyboards such as the w30 were quite big in the 80's. 'Top of the Pops' seemed to have a couple of DX7's in the basement, because a lot of the bands playing on the show, would have a DX7, despite not having one DX7 sound in their song...DX7's aren't sampling keyboards BTW.

I can't stand early digital synths personally, and probably why I grit my teeth when I hear a lot of 80's music.

Simply Red - rather listen to a cat being tortured

Absolutely :)

The 60's was the music of the Hippies. They were the social rebellion crowd tuning out and turning on. The 70's started as hippy, but when the Viet Nam was over, the faded genes and tie-dye tee shirts were replaced with the disco polyester leisure suit. The peace symbol became the gold chain. The 80's was the transition where disco started to change under the influence of the the preppie personna of the Yuppies. This was during the Reagan years, which shifted culture into a more prosperous personna.

Everyone seems to forget Madonna and Michael Jackson in the 80's. Michael Jackson got the East LA gangster look going, for the baggy pants of the 90's. Madonna shifted things away in the same direction. They help influenced the 90's, like the Bee Gee's did for the mid 70's disco. The 90's was a divergence of baggy pants, one for rap and the other for grunge. Rap music was around in the 70's and 80's. But the original rappers were the hill billy square dance callers.

The 80's was more sophisicated in dress, than disco, due to the gays. They seem to know how to accessorize and coordinate better than straight guys and caused an significant improvement in style for the young urban professional. The sexy dress of the disco twirl, was replaced with tight short skirts, tight pants, and big hair, for the new separated dance styles. The 80's was decade where records started to became replaced with CD's. Where quadrophonic appeared in anticipation of surround sound. The 80's was the decade that ushered in the personal computer. It started with the Wang word processor and culminated in the Microsoft shakedown. The music of the 80's included the budding technologies for new affects, that used to require the technical sophistication of the Pink Floyd in the 70's. It was the last decade the masses would not be strapped to a computer.

Hmm. Looks Like Simply Red doesn't have a great fanbase. I like some of their stuff (Holdin' back the Years, e.g.), but mainly because it's easy to play (on a keyboard). If you've never heard of Brian Eno, he's the guy who has helped to produce more albums than the rest put together. With U2 for instance, to name just one.

Yeah I was born in 1990 but whatever, I love 80s music and new wave! My favorite band is Duran Duran.

I absolutely hated the 80's...during the 80's. As far as I was concerned the only thing good to come out of it for me was Metallica. Now, I enjoy some of the old pop tunes and stupid MTV videos from that era when I run into them.

I'm a big fan of new wave/darkwave in general. This includes Devo, Tears for Fears, Joy Division, New Order, Depeche Mode, The Cure, and about a billion one hit wonders like a Flock of Seagulls (two hit wonder), Crowded House, Modern English, Johnny Hates Jazz, Cutting Crew, Mr. Mister (another two hit wonder), and a number of non-New Wave bands like Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot, and uhh, to continue... The Firm, Van Halen, Rush, Genesis, Triumph, Dire Straits...

You sir, have good taste in music.

The Cars, Killing Joke, Brian Eno, Iggy Pop, Supertramp, Elton John, Steve Winwood, Joe Jackson, Simply Red.

You sir, do not.

Just kidding. I actually love the Cars, Iggy and Elton. Maybe supertramp...but Simply Red? Don't be shocked if you get shunned for a few days.

The Ramones, The Misfits, The Dead Kennedys, Suicidal Tendencies, NOFX, Sonic Youth... Some of these folks probably DID staple their tongues to their kneecaps.

Oh I miss Suicidal.

ecoli' date='

Genesis- absolutely, but Phil Collins by himself? YEECH. Peter Gabriel on the other hand was a genius (my op), but actually left Geneis by the mid 70s.[/quote']

Dittos on all that. I really love early Genesis, the more progressive years.

ecoli,

Genesis- absolutely, but Phil Collins by himself? YEECH. Peter Gabriel on the other hand was a genius (my op), but actually left Geneis by the mid 70s.

Oh... I didn't realize he left that early. I definitely liked them with peter gabriel better, but I recently have gotten into to later Genesis as well. I like what they've done, electronically.

The shining light for me in the 80s music-wise was Robert Cray. If you don't know him, he is the guy that Dan Akroyd and John Belushi followed around before they filmed the Blues Brothers. The claim is that it was very loosely based on how he lives (or lived at the time). Not sure I buy it but he is absolutely a blues god.

How about,

The Clash

Human League

Flock of Seagulls

Hall and Oates

Billy Idol

Little River Band

Johnny Cougar aka John Cougar Melancamp aka John Melancamp

Tom Petty

Oh... I didn't realize he left that early. I definitely liked them with peter gabriel better, but I recently have gotten into to later Genesis as well. I like what they've done, electronically.

Re: Genesis,

What did you think about Collins' solo career? Cheers or Jeers?

I really enjoyed Mike Murphy's external work, a la Mike And The Mechanics.

I think Phil Collins produced a handful of good solo tunes, but wasn't anywhere near Genesis' popularity. He's sorta dead & buried now, anyway. Peter Gabriel was always my pick as the biggest influence on the original band (not to disparage Phil, or Mike).

btw Killing Joke were a Brit group who formed in '79. Just discovered they have their own Wikipedia entry. They were a sort of hard rock/grunge band who IMO produced too few albums before they split.

My bad for not mentioning:

The Clash, Tom Petty, Michael Jackson, Prince, The Cars, Elton John, Billy Joel, Squeeze, Stray Cats, Billy Idol, Brian Eno, Elvis Costello

The Ramones, The Misfits, The Dead Kennedys, Suicidal Tendencies, NOFX, Sonic Youth

F*ck NOFX. The rest are quality. Also, you stick the Danzig crap in there, but not the Henry Rollins crap (i.e. Black Flag)

What about the Melvins? Or the Meat Puppets? Or the Vaselines?

F*ck NOFX. The rest are quality. Also, you stick the Danzig crap in there, but not the Henry Rollins crap (i.e. Black Flag)

Well, I happen to enjoy them. With the strength of your reaction, you really sound more like an ex-girlfriend or a groupie who was rebuffed (and, I'm pretty sure neither of those are the case :D) ). Whatever though. To-MAY-toe, Ta-MOT-toe... ya dig? ;)

What about the Melvins? Or the Meat Puppets? Or the Vaselines?

Now you're talking. Any thoughts on the Queers?

"It's all about the money. Political power is taken. Protecting the rich, denying the poor. Yeah, they love to watch the war from the White House

And I wonder..."