Can you hear microwaves?

Pinch Paxton

I seem to have this ability to hear certain wave lengths. I can hear the radiation coming from any TV set if the screen is totally white, and I can hear mobile phone microwaves at night. The mobile phone noise keeps me awake. Has anyone else noticed this noise?

Pincho.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also hear a muted television as a high pitched whistle, it is only just above the average hearing range so it's not uncommon.

Mobile phone signals is another kettle of fish altogether. They are at a MUCH higher frequency 900 - 1800 million Hz - the range of human hearing is around 20 - 20,000 Hz. So it really isn't feasible you can hear them.

More likely you are hearing the effect of the mobile phone transmissions on something else (like the noise you get from your computer speaker just before your phone rings).

Do you have fillings? Some people can pick up radio signals through a loose filling so maybe that's where it's coming from.

the power and frequency of mobile fone radiation can be quite penetrating. I`ve got an old clock radio and the radio part hasn`t worked for about 10 years, but if I put my mobile next to it, it can be quite clearly heard DIT DIT DIT--DIT DIT DIT. and that`s from a broken radio LOL :)

YT2095 said in post # :

the power and frequency of mobile fone radiation can be quite penetrating. I`ve got an old clock radio and the radio part hasn`t worked for about 10 years, but if I put my mobile next to it, it can be quite clearly heard DIT DIT DIT--DIT DIT DIT. and that`s from a broken radio LOL :)

That's coming from the speakers, and would come from the speakers if they weren't connected to any radio (eg. my PC speakers do it).

Mobile phone emissions are reasonably powerful, but they're not THAT powerful, and 'penetrating' isn't the right word anyway.

YT2095 said in post # :

oh dear :( semantics again Sheesh!

ok then, replace the word with "Gets into alsorts of things electrical" hows that?

Good greif!

I don't see why you're complaining about semantics on a SCIENCE WEBSITE.

A large part of my physics course (well, the experimental part) was making sure you get your language correct, and this is true for all science.

YT2095 said in post # :

then perhaps you`de care to explain to me and the rest of us, what was wrong with that word?

It's the completely wrong word to use. It's an utterly irrelevent property.

The way you worded it suggested that the reason that the sound was made was that the signals were penetrating.

For instance, neutrinoes are immensely penetrating, but you don't see them causing blip blips on speakers; you'd be hearing them constantly they did.

MrL_JaKiri said in post # :

The way you worded it suggested that the reason that the sound was made was that the signals were penetrating.

erm, that`s exactly what I wanted to suggest dude :)

I never compared to neutrinos or any other type or radiation getting into (penetrating) electrical apparatus.

UV light is also EM radiation, I wouldn`t consider that to be penetrating. I didn`t make any comparisons at all.

I made a plain statement! :)

YT2095 said in post # :

erm, that`s exactly what I wanted to suggest dude :)

And that is why you were WRONG.

As I said, the word 'penetrating' has a specific meaning, and this is EXACTLY WHY science holds the exact definitions of words in such high regard.

YT2095 said in post # :

care to look it up in a dictionary? I just did :)

then we`ll see who`s wrong, and who`s being deliberately argumentative over utter nonsense AGAIN!

The dictionary definition is NOT ALWAYS the scientific definition, and should not be used as such. It is, however, accurate to use different homonyms if you're not using it in a scientific context.

You are the one being argumentative over 'nonsense'; what I posted was accurate and precise, and it is your nonacceptance of the possibility that you might be incorrect that is prolonging this.

'If you cannot say what you mean, you will never mean what you say'

[edit]

Furthermore, by any definition of the word penetrate that can be applicable, I don't see how it causes the effect mentioned. It's a prerequisite for the effect in some cases, but it doesn't actually have any information contained within of HOW it occurs, which is what science is all about. You came here for SCIENCE didn't you? Why not start obeying its constraints? It's like you said that it makes the noise because it's existant. It's perfectly true in the sense that if it wasn't existant it wouldn't have made the noise, but it's not the direct cause.

YT2095 said in post # :

the dictionary deffinitions are all I have (and any of us) on which to base our language unless you consider yourself an exception?

and I meant exactly what I said! as defined by any dictionary you care to use.

The 2nd para is dealt with in the edit above.

As for the first....

Languages evolve, the same word can have many different meanings, and shades of meanings. This is why scientists have taken to defining the words immensely precisely, in the context of science, so that no misunderstandings may arise from the use of language, and why using different homonyms, if not acceptable to the scientific community, is not on.

YT2095 said in post # :

I stand by post as being perfectly valid and wish to change nothing. now, back on topic!

YT2095 said in post # :

The property 'ability to penetrate' is irrelevent as to why the sound is produced. Obviously it's a prerequisite (at least in this case) that it penetrates the exterior of the radio, but it doesn't give any explanation as to why it happens, and thus has no real status in a sensible reply.

because when compared to other transmiters of greater power but of different frequency and modulation, the mobile fone will have a more pervasive and penetrating effect on other electrical aparatus in comparison. when the RF power of a mobile fone is wound down this effect is diminished (so I mentioned power).

when the frequency is lowered this effect will diminish (so I mentioned that). RF is EM RADIATION (so I mentioned that).

and it penetrates apparatus (so I mentioned that).

ok now???

YT2095 said in post # :

because when compared to other transmiters of greater power but of different frequency and modulation, the mobile fone will have a more pervasive and penetrating effect on other electrical aparatus in comparison. when the RF power of a mobile fone is wound down this effect is diminished (so I mentioned power).

when the frequency is lowered this effect will diminish (so I mentioned that). RF is EM RADIATION (so I mentioned that).

and it penetrates apparatus (so I mentioned that).

ok now???

No, because it's

1. using a different definition of penetration to that which is standard within the scientific community when another word could be used with equal ease (you yourself used 'pervasive')

and

2. it's utterly irrelevent, unless you're being so generic as to contain no useful information.

YT2095 said in post # :

will you just quit your whining like some little school girl with a grazed knee and just accept the post for what it is and was meant to be.

and get BACK ON TOPIC!

Why do you want me to accept something which is incorrect? Surely that's unscientific?