magnetic perputial motion device

ajman2463

If you made a perpetual motion machine, you wouldn't be able to patent it (in the US at least), because the US patent office believes in the First and Second Laws of Thermodynamics.

Perpetual motion machines are great learning tools. How do you think you could build a perpetual motion machine by using magnets?

well, i was thinking that since magnets aren't affected by low levels of heat, one can use the opposite sides of the magnets to propel a rod in an endless rotation. i was thinking a rod inside of a ring model, sorry i cant show you a picture of my idea, but think of a series of halos with a magnetized rod in the middle, constantly being rotated by the different magnetic fields (n and s)

OK, but keep in mind that it won't actually work, and the learning comes in understanding why.

It won't be perfectly frictionless, as moving magnets generate changing magnetic fields which will generate currents in any conductors in the area. The current generated will eventually decay to heat, and will remove kinetic energy from the moving magnet. So it will still follow the second law of thermodynamics.

Do you expect that your device will generate energy (in violation of the first law of thermodynamics)? That is what it sounds like from your use of propel. I can't say more about this because I don't know what you mean by the halos. Are those cylinder/ring shaped magnets with north and south on the top and bottom?

what are one's thought on perpetual motion? would it be possible using a machine that operated of strong magnets?

edit: i spelled perpetual wrong in the topic. whoops

If you draw out the forces involved with the appropriate equations you will see that energy required to sustain such cannot be reached. I have thought about such in the context of gravity, attempting to use gravity to supply such but I cant really think of any condition/environment in which such could become real, let alone useful.

Can't view the movies, but ... no, you can't form your own opinion on the matter. The first and second laws of thermodynamics are well understood. They are a matter of scientific inquiry, not opinion.

If something appears to be perpetual motion, then some sleight-of-hand is happeneing somewhere.