nuclear? its pronounced NU-cu-ler :D

seriously though,

for all those physics types out there, i was wondering what the nuclear analog to electron promotion is (if such a think exists).

I mean, electrons can be promoted up to a new energy level (shell) by exiting them. Is there such a thing for nuclear stuff? Is it just normal vibrational modes, when you are talking about the nucleus? If so, then what about a free proton (no electrons)? Can it be exited to a higher energy state? IF so, is it just the particle in the box thing?

Anyways, if anyone feels like answering this question that would be great. I was just wondering this the other day while sitting in lab. Oh, and by the way, if you know of any good reviews about this stuff, i wouldn't mind reading a bit of something on it.

VendingMenace said in post # :

yeah, i know how to pronounce. It was a quote from simpons (actually not a direct quote, but inspired by it)

Is the poop deck what I think it is?

VendingMenace said in post # :

But they actuall question still stands, does anyone have an answer? :D

Yep.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
for all those physics types out there' date=' i was wondering what the nuclear analog to electron promotion is (if such a think exists).

I mean, electrons can be promoted up to a new energy level (shell) by exiting them. Is there such a thing for nuclear stuff? Is it just normal vibrational modes, when you are talking about the nucleus? If so, then what about a free proton (no electrons)? Can it be exited to a higher energy state? IF so, is it just the particle in the box thing?

[/quote']

Yes, nuclei can be excited. The shell structure in nuclei is similar to atoms, but there are complications from the existence of both neutrons and protons. It is a particle in a box kind of thing.

Decay times are generally much shorter as well; the decay time is inversely correlated with the excitation energy (with conservation laws thrown in to complicate things), and the spacing of energy levels in nuclei are of order MeV, rather than eV for atoms, for low excitations.