topologically transitive

Could such be used in ecological application to discern fitness factors for an organism such as a microbe in an artificial environment? I know its sort of a energy in a system question I think but any reply would be appreciated. I don’t know how precise you can get with fitness in a population of microbes as is down to an individual because more or less I am looking for how such environmental stimulus is received by an organism, such as light or sound with hearing and vision for example. I would like to think this is orientated to seeing fitness in populations from such a scale while trying to identify molecular basis. My questions really is that I don’t understand the reality of a topological transitive enough on my own of course for such an application if possible.

I think Darwin is bifurcating with this term fitness. He started with the niche theory. That is lots of fur on a rabbit makes it fit for cold environments (you know because what does a rabbit care, so something must have killed the bald ones). I don't think selective upward pressure was necessary for this.

Try two environments in one enclosure and two or more organisms maybe.