heroes

• 4 weeks later...

These waves are called hydromagnetic, and arise in a strong B-field, say [math]B_z[/math]. If a small region of neutral plasma is perturbed in the y-direction, both +/- species cross the magnetic field lines, are are moved sideways, in x. They move in opposite senses and so constitute an electric current, and this current will be completed in a larger region above and below, in z. In the initial region, the current produces a reaction against the original magnetic field which tends to restore the original perturbation. This is expressed as a force density of: [math]J\times B[/math]. The outer completion of the current loop reacts in the opposite direction, so you can see wave motion which propagates in z. If I am reading correctly, there is not a characteristic plasma frequency here; what is so is the characterization of a wave phase velocity, [math] v_p= B_0/\sqrt{\mu_0\rho}[/math], while frequency and wavelength are of arbitrary excitation.

• 4 months later...

I am trying to further my understanding of Alfven, hydromagnetic waves in a plasma. The analysis gives us a phase velocity dependent on magnetic field strength and plasma density. There seems to be no constraint on frequency, except for phenomenologic range. Is the statement that given any perturbation at frequency [math]\omega[/math], there is a damped propagation of inversely proportional wavelength, so the only constant constraint is the phase velocity?

Where is solar radio noise strong? The article speaks of visible, ultrav, and x range observing. What are they seeing??? I don't know much about the whole mix of physics going down here. I am but a purely theoretical physicist. [Purely _-_]

I figured at first that this was a resonant phenomenon like electrostatic plasma oscillations which have a more intrinsic characteristic frequency, but it seems not.