Motility and Time

foodchain

As I am interested in evolution I of course have come into contact with concepts like phylogeny and how such is determined. Looking at all the variance to methods of observation for instance in this I noticed of course that a disease vector more or less is a description on how a population of organisms propagate or move in the ecology they occupy. Now obviously giving adaptation items like locomotion or motility by organisms is something studied, but in the context of behavioral ecology what are the ramifications of such? Not only this but does movement itself denote a fine area of study for issues like phylogenics?

For instance can only a certain bauplan conduct a certain scale of movement in a giving environment? The obvious answer to me would be yes but then giving say microbial life and rates and variations of adaptability how can you use such to say find means or rates of movement in certain materials, such as clay for instance? How would you define such, the only way I could see of course induces NS or Darwinian type thinking, such as a fish has its form because its what has remained fit over time in the context of the ecology. The question can further extend of course such as now how microbial life can move because in context of avian populations they interact with.

So the overall question is in terms of study behavioral ecology and how organisms manage to move in certain environments.