Procrastination

Mr Skeptic

Hi, I'm a horrible procrastinator. My habit is really getting me into trouble. I've been trying to stop procrastinating for a while now without success. My favorite activities to do when procrastinating on something far more important, were playing computer games, reading Slashdot, and watching TV.

At the start of this semester, I pledged to give up computer games (which I have been playing since I can remember), reading Slashdot, and watching TV for the rest of the semester. I did manage to give these up, but found another way to procrastinate, reading SFN instead. Though I am happy I have exchanged brain rot for SFN, my idea that I would stop procrastinating if I have up my most time-consuming past times seems to be completely wrong. I just found a different way to procrastinate, and no doubt if I gave up SFN or computers or any particular way to procrastinate, I would still find a new way to procrastinate.

Also, many of my relatives procrastinate: grandparents on my mother's side, mother, father, aunt, younger siblings. My older brother, uncle, and grandparents on my father's side might procrastinate a lot or not, but I don't know for sure. It seems to run in the family.

Nike's motto "Just do it!" just doesn't seem to work. If I leave a task for later, it is usually left till never or at best the deadline. Any ideas of how I can help myself?

In my experience procrastination is caused by you not wanting your classes or what they will get you enough. I know that my strategy for staying on top of work I don't like is to focus on what my ultimate goal is. I would try that. If that doesn't do it for you then maybe you need to re-think your goals and find one that really motivates you.

I find that if I procrastinate until the night before something is due, my work is generally better. This is probably because I have all my ideas set in order in my head at one time, whereas if I worked on it over a period of time, it wouldn't flow.

Ken