The effect of EM field on Atoms..

mooeypoo

I've heard that the EM force is 1e39 times bigger than the Gravitational force of earth, and that infact what stops our bodies from continuing on to the center of the earth is the Electromagnetic force between our own atoms and the atoms of the ground.

If any of this is wrong, please let me know, it's quite a new subject for me (Only recently I've started reading seriously about quantum physics).

So I have a question, to understand that amazingly powerful force.

There are (the way I see it) two options why our bodies STOP on the ground and not move on --

[*] The EM force of the ground's atoms together with the atoms in OUR body are preventing "passage" from both matters (Therefore, there's some sort of repelling force).

[*] The EM Force realigns our body's atoms in a way that "matter meets matter" and there cannot be any passage of atoms.

[/list=1]

So my hypothetical question is this:

If I would throw a single atom to the ground (it cannot be aligned since it's a SINGLE atom..) will it PASS earth and reach it's core -or will it behave like a "matter" and the earth's atoms would be able to stop it's movement...?

Please explain either one of those options .. or... a third one if I got it all wrong..

(I know it all depends also on how powerfully i throw that atom to the ground but let's assume I am not using super-big strength, but relying on simple gravity..)

Thanks!!

~moo

Interresting...

okay, so basically the *electrostatic* force is a repelling force on it's own?

can I simulate the same effect by increasing the electromagnetic field of some sort of object?

Sorry if it sounds stupid I don't quite remember the difference and relations between ElectroStatic and ElectroMagnetic which.. may be the cause of my confusion here. If u have anywhere to send me i'll appreciate it.. google wasn't much help :P

~moo