Black Holes Inside Stars or Planets?

scalbers

Here's an interesting paper on another possible type of black hole. Has this been discussed in the forum yet?

http://arxiv.org/abs/0706.2504

No. It is a visionary idea. I am glad to know about it but i don't feel competent to discuss it.

the overall rough message I get agrees with some other things I've read, namely that IF one could get a supply of very small black holes, weighing for example about the same mass as an asteroid or a mountain, then one could do very interesting things with them.

if one could get very small black holes, very very small, then one could even use them as a kind of fuel, because they would be hot with their own Hawking radiation-----but he wasnt talking about such small ones I think.

Anyway the answer is no, we didn't discuss it. In fact I never saw the paper before.

In a sense this is potentially what you could call EDUCATIONAL SCI FI.

Yes a planet equipped with the right size black hole would not need a sun in order to support animal life. It could be autonomous.

the planet with its inhabitants could wander thru the dark reaches of interstellar space, entirely on its own.

OK it is SciFi crazy but to understand it you need to learn the formulas for the mass and radius and temperature of black holes, and their rate of evaporation, and their watts of radiation output, and all that good stuff

these are simple formulas involving G, hbar and c. But people do nt learn them because no motivation. A SciFi story could give motivation to learning black hole basics.

but the basic idea of an autonomous planet with its own bh power generation is crazy wild. I would be hesitant to read the paper unless I was wearing my aluminum foil hat and wearing my Groucho glasses with the nose and moustache. One has to be careful these days.