E-mail tax?

Cap'n Refsmmat

E-mail tax?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. E-mail tax?

• Yes!
    • Change it a bit.
    • NO!

Bill Gates recently proposed a one-cent tax on all e-mails. He says that the average person might spend ten bucks a year, but spammers much more.

The average spammer sends 50 to 250 million spams a day, which equates to between $182,500,000 and $912,500,000 a year. :eek: Per spammer. I say, ouch.

That's probably enough to cover the budget defecit, with all the spammers.

Do you like the idea, or no?

I' not gonna pay jak for my e-mails. I may not be a spammer, but I do send chainmails all the times to my friends. The government is taxing too much as it is. This all could have been avoided if we never elected Bush as president. Hopefully we won't make that same mistake again. Any ways, all us hardcore internet junkies could find some bug we could exploit to give us free e-mail anyways. The blue box for the net.

KHinfcube22 said in post # :

This all could have been avoided if we never elected Bush as president. Hopefully we won't make that same mistake again.

Am I the only one that realizes he CUT taxes?

Any ways, all us hardcore internet junkies could find some bug we could exploit to give us free e-mail anyways. The blue box for the net.

Yeah, but they can make it hard enough to do it.

Look, let's say you send a THOUSAND emails a year. That's ten bucks. Not much. Who cares about a measly 10?

-Demosthenes- said in post # :

He did, it's just easy for lazy people to blame everything on the president. No matter how good he might be people will continue just to blame everything bad in their lives on the president.

Or maybe what people are really blaming him for is that he is reducing taxes while the country has one of the worst deficits on record, leaving a right old mess for the next administration to clear up.

I vote HELL NO!

billy Goats gets more than plenty from us anyway! he`s just taking the pi$$ implementing (or trying to) that idea.

I despise the man and always have done, ask me to justify that and I`ll buy out or kill you! :))

the PEOPLE own the Internet, NOT HIM!!! although I`m sure he`de like to! or at least thinks he does!

I`ve got no time for him whatsoever, little pi$$ant!

btw, did I ever tell you about the time my mate made a simple website saying "download the latest PC vivus" with a link to microsoft? in less that 2 weeks he got mail threatening law suits and shutdown action of not only his site but his ISP too???

maybe I didn`t, but it DID happen!

YT is right though. The interenet is nothing but a network of everyones computers and some servers. Without us, there is nothing. It is our right to use it for free. Putting a tax on e-mailling would be like taxing us to talk to someone face to face.

KHinfcube22 said in post # :

YT is right though. The interenet is nothing but a network of everyones computers and some servers. Without us, there is nothing. It is our right to use it for free. Putting a tax on e-mailling would be like taxing us to talk to someone face to face.

I'm not disputing that.

Although I don't live in the US, so I don't care really.

Not really. Taxing instant messages would be like taxing face-to-face... taxing email would be like taxing letters: postage. Imagine how much junk snailmail you'd get if it was free for companies to mail the stuff. I favor a 1-cent email tax, and will continue to favor it as long as its under 5 cents.

Yes, tax would go to the govenment. That's the difference between tax and billing.

It would probably be absorbed in the same way most tax is, so that the voters don't see the direct benifits and the goverment can claim it was effective policys that reduced the deficit.

Bleh! if they could tax Breathing and make money out of you they would!

I think it`s a sucky idea to the MAX!

I say stronger laws against spam, and lower ISP prices, there`s no REAL reason it costs as much as it does anyway, other than profiteering.

-Demosthenes- said in post # :

Why do people even send spam? I don't buy any of that stuff, is there anyone who does? It seems that everyone just hates, why does anyone do it?

It only take somthing like 1 in 1 million people buyingsomthing for them to make a proft.

I don't see a problem with a 1 cent tax, the problem is that people probably said the same thing about a 1 cent postage tax...

Actually, the proposal is not to tax anyone for use of email. The proposal is to introduce two control methods:-

A 'goodwill' gesture, where you allow a simple calculation to run on your PC before the mail is triggered, for no other reason than to delay the mail for 10 seconds. This would ensure that millions of emails triggered from one source would not be feasible due to the time taken to do the calculations.

The proposal of the 1 cent 'tax' is actually a proposal to allow legitimate mass email for buisnesses to pay to bypass spam filters if they pay a cent per email. Microsoft, Lycos etc all would pay 1 cent per email they trigger that is not solicited. Obviously this is cheaper than spending billions countering spam, and spam itself would just die out.

So your saying there could be a delay so you can only send an email every ten seconds? That's a great Idea!! Then people who spend time on span will spend like hours more!!!! so spam might die!!! DIE SPAM DIE!!! NO MORE ADS! NO MORE CRAP! NO MORE CHEAP MEAT ON SATURDAYS ANYMORE! Oh, sry I got carried away and a little confused :scratch: