E-mail tax?

Cap'n Refsmmat

E-mail tax?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. E-mail tax?

• Yes!
    • Change it a bit.
    • NO!

You don't think that maybe if it becomes so difficult to send spam from one's own computer, it might become easier to find ways to circumvent measures like firewalls?

Also bear in mind that software that restricts your mailing ability is going to have to be voluntary, and it won't be popular.

Post 28? Well, I could sit here and explain how legitimate businesses that have to send thousands of mails every hour from their mailservers are NOT going to voluntarily implement anything that increases server load and processing time, and that those same servers can be used by spammers, but I'd much rather go to bed.

Sayonara³ said in post # :

Post 28? Well, I could sit here and explain how legitimate businesses that have to send thousands of mails every hour from their mailservers are NOT going to voluntarily implement anything that increases server load and processing time, and that those same servers can be used by spammers, but I'd much rather go to bed.

To be fair, that would be why the 1 cent charge would exist, to bypass the calculation. It would work out to be cheaper than the costs expended by buisness to prevent spam.

As to how it's implemented, well the spam filters would only have to look for the verification code (from the successful calculation or from a complay that paid the 1 cent) to allow through the filters. Anything without a verification code would be classed as spam. This would save most companys a lot of money. Anyone who works out a way to crack to codes could be employed to create better encripton, for more money that a spammer would earn. Microsoft is willing to work out the finer points by throwing cash and resource at it as uncontrolled spam is costing them billions.

It's still a voluntary system, unless the proposal is to force business to adopt a system that will either cripple their procedures, or make them pay more for something they are already paying for.

And the bottom line is that anyone can set up a mail server, anywhere, at any time.

This all seems to complicated, we should all learn how to comunicate telipathically :D

About those buisnesses who send all the email, yeah those ones. I don't think they are spending more than that to counter act spam, I really don't. You know how many emails that a really big business sends everyday? I guess: a lot. Let's it up in mathmatical form.

Buisness want money

tax means less money

buisness not like tax

solution: impath abilities!

Sayonara³ said in post # :

It's still a voluntary system, unless the proposal is to force business to adopt a system that will either cripple their procedures, or make them pay more for something they are already paying for.

And the bottom line is that anyone can set up a mail server, anywhere, at any time.

:mutters about cost benefit analysis:

Cost of email support team / reduction of spam filtering and support staff

Cost of mail server / percent reduction in mail

Vs

Amount of emails * 1 cent.

The 'independant' server can send as many mails as it likes. Without the verification of the goodwill gesture calculation etc, it would be autorejected as spam.

atinymonkey said in post # :

The 'independant' server can send as many mails as it likes. Without the verification of the goodwill gesture calculation etc, it would be autorejected as spam.

I understand what you're talking about now. It would help if there was actually a link or verbatim quote or something.

You're assuming a typical company's cost-benefit analysis would show that having an e-mail team (or, more likely, an effective and free tool like Spam Assassin, or a simple process like reverse-DNS lookups, both of which anyone in their right mind would be using on their mailservers) will work out at more than $0.01 per mail, which is a big assumption to make on behalf of planetary commerce.

You're also assuming (still) that anyone would want to implement this entirely new system while there are alternatives available that cost nothing and don't require any changes to infrastructure.

Unless you're running a mailserver you won't find much use for it (well, if you know the person who administers the mail servers you use you can pester them to implement it).

If you're looking for something to stop spam on your webmail or domestic account, it will be easier to just adopt some simple strategies like "don't plug it into every web site you come across", "insist your friends BCC you in to group e-mails", that sort of thing.