As of today, YouTube only giving me sound... no video... no graphics even. WTF?

iNow

So, as of today, when I go to YouTube, I get a screen with the YouTube header (logo, four tabs, and search bar), and the video title... but the rest of the screen is blank... nothing but white.

I get the audio, but cannot see (and hence, use) the controls, nor see the normal stuff at the right of the screen (like the description of who uploaded the video, notes, and related content..)

Any ideas? It's sort of strange. I don't own this system, and don't have administrator rights, but I've been using it for 2 years, and have never had a problem previously.

I'm not trying to hack this thing, I just want previous functionality returned.

Can I check or try something about which you're aware? Perhaps it's not specific to my system, but specific to YouTube tonight?

Thanks in advance.

No love. I cleared cache, hard refreshed, checked my security and advanced settings, restarted my system... still the same. (IE6 btw...)

I tested an embedded video on a blog, and that played fine, as did google videos. It's specific to YouTube.

Considering this, I suppose it's possible the company has blocked YouTube? Just seems strange that I can still get to the site, see the home page, see the header and the video title when going to actual clips, and hear the audio, but see nothing else (like the details or the video that goes with the audio)...

No love. I cleared cache, hard refreshed, checked my security and advanced settings, restarted my system... still the same. (IE6 btw...)

I tested an embedded video on a blog, and that played fine, as did google videos. It's specific to YouTube.

Considering this, I suppose it's possible the company has blocked YouTube? Just seems strange that I can still get to the site, see the home page, see the header and the video title when going to actual clips, and hear the audio, but see nothing else (like the details or the video that goes with the audio)...

Try using IE to view the page source and see if anything is weird - like only half of the page shows up.

Okay... Problem seems to have righted itself.

It really looked more like the page never finished loading properly, especially since the status in the bottom left of the browser window said "Done."

Like I said, it was quite weird since I could view embedded vids, videos on google, and others... and could even hear the audio on the various youtube links I tested with.

I was pretty concerned when the magical fix of a system reboot didn't do the trick. :)

Either way, it seems good now, and I didn't change anything. Thank you both all the same for trying to give me some guidance and ideas. It does help.

Cheers.

Something very similar to that happens to me from time to time on one of my development machines at work, which is running Vista and IE7. I have to reboot it before it will play Flash videos again. It sounds pretty similar to what you describe, but I've never figured out what's causing it.

I've had a hunch for a while now that it only happens after I put the machine through a 'sleep' cycle, which suggests a networking driver issue WRT Vista, maybe.

Why not upgrade your flash player or perhaps clean your temporary file first. I don't know but I sometimes suffering in viewing youtube after some upgrade it might be my software.

Thanks for the input, softix. I did clear my temporary files, but cannot upgrade my software. This is a company system. Also, the bigger point was that it used to work, then stopped working. It wasn't as if it never worked or my software level was not high enough.

Either way, the problem went away on it's own. It looks more like the pages were not loading completely, and got "hung up" after the headers of the page loaded.

No worries. It's working fine now! Thanks again. :)

• 4 months later...

Okay, so now as of yesterday my audio is gone on YouTube. I can see the vids, but no sound. It's like the polar opposite of the problem that I had four months ago. This is getting ridiculous.

Last time it just "righted" itself. I hope it does that again soon, because DAMNIT! Who wants to live in a world with free easy access to online videos of various duration and topic that don't have sound? :mad:

Okay, so now as of yesterday my audio is gone on YouTube. I can see the vids, but no sound. It's like the polar opposite of the problem that I had four months ago. This is getting ridiculous.

That happened to me yesterday as well.

However once Robert Smith of The Cure came around and turned on my speakers, everything was okay.

True story.

Thanks for the input, softix. I did clear my temporary files, but cannot upgrade my software. This is a company system. Also, the bigger point was that it used to work, then stopped working. It wasn't as if it never worked or my software level was not high enough.

Either way, the problem went away on it's own. It looks more like the pages were not loading completely, and got "hung up" after the headers of the page loaded.

No worries. It's working fine now! Thanks again. :)

I would have suggested saving a page if you had the content, then viewing that saved page after turning off your internet connection, or physically unplugging it.

Can you show me how you do that trick?

Yes. You will need to find the Triangle of Zinthar, and combine it with the triangle that you found during the shooting of My Fair Lady.

Once combined the two triangles will form the Diamond of Pantheos, which will transform you into Mecha-iNow. This will summon Robert Smith of the Cure in his Mothra persona.

Robert Smith will perform a Robot Punch to dislodge the Diamond of Pantheos from your nose. You will then have to avoid him while you transform back into iNow, otherwise he will throw you into space where you will explode.

Once this is done, ask Robert Smith to kindly turn on your speakers before he leaves :)

Wow... Robert Smith is amazing. It actually worked!

Strangely, my speakers were on, but the audio settings in the Control Panel seem to have gone a bit wonky. So, despite the fact that I unmuted my system, something in the speaker settings was keeping it muted.

I had tried using just the lappy speakers, also headphones, and also through my stereo, but none were working. So, I just did what I should have done sooner and checked the control panel, found the cause, made the change, and things are looking good again.

Robert Smith, is there nothing you can't do? :D

• 1 month later...

hi there! this is ilango, if u get tired of hitting you tube. Better u just jump in to linux(esp. Ubuntu 8.04.1) and check out the Totem movie player. It has provided with searching and watching facilities within the player, so all u need just install a plug-in called gstream-bad. This is the plug-in to play the you tube videos within the player. Check it out!......n' enjoy!!!!>>@