New Hypothesis About Black Holes And Matter

CHEMICALZER0

I hope I posted this in the right place. I was thinking today, that since matter cannot be made, or removed from the universe, perhaps we are constantly expanding as well. Since the universe is constantly expanding, that must mean we must be expanding as well, since the universe cannot just make more matter as it expands. For all we know, we could be 10x bigger than we were yesterday, and never know it. This would explain black holes not being shaped as thought, but more of an hourglass, as matter goes in one end, and comes out the other in a different form. I know that Hawking has thought of that, but the first section is completely my idea. Please tell me what you think of this theory. Thanks.

I think if we were 10 times bigger than yesterday but have no way to find out (i.e. there is no way in which this expansion causes any effect at all), then we can as well ignore that expansion.

Please tell me what you think of this theory.
I edited the title of your thread. Since there have been no experiments to test your idea, it is, at best, an hypothesis. Let's be rigorous here and not misuse the word theory.

That said, how would one go about testing this idea? Is there anything that wouldn't expand with the rest of the universe that could be used as a control? How would you test for this without one?

I believe that the only way to test this would be to see what goes into a black hole, and look at its expansions. I realize that we are probably centuries away from having the technology to do this, however since things age much more slowly in a black hole, then the rest of the universe (I think thats correct). If we could find a way to determine what goes into a black hole, and monitor its existance, we could probably see if my hypothesis is true. However, it would be hard since things do get stretched and mangled inside a black hole. Also, I'm new to the science scene. I actually hated science until I took earth science this year. (I'm 15 years old). So if there are any major mistakes in my posts, please tell me what is wrong so I will know for future reference.

Things already experience different time passings in normal gravitational fields. You could get an upper limit for the expansion difference by guessing how much Neil Armstrong has grown during his trip to the moon. But you should be aware that sizes of everyday-objects are independent of what cosmologists refer to when they say space expands. They are determined by the strengths of the interactions. E.g. the geometry of a molecule is strongly determined by the electromagnetic interactions between the atoms' nuclei and the electrons. If you put an H2 molecule into an expanding space, then the size of the molecule will remain the same, just as if you put a pencil on an expanding rubber sheet and the expand the sheet. Effectively, that unequal expansion is what allows to see the expansion - if you'd put a 2nd pencil on the rubber sheet, you'd see it moving away from the 1st pencil.

The rules of logic also apply to philosophical physics. Any presuppositional concepts must be analyzed for validity and soundness before they can be used to build a hypothesis.

since the universe cannot just make more matter as it expands

it cant?

If everything was proportionately 10 times larger today than yesterday or for that matter smaller, wouldn't the pictures we receive from space, which are from earlier days, show this in some way. We are fairly sure stars that were 100k, a million years ago were very much like what we have for a star or easily see 5-40 or a hundred years ago.

No, because the actual ratios between those objects would remain the same.

If I measure a stick which later expands by 10 feet, but my ruler also expands equally by 10 feet at the same time, then the measurement is not impacted at all.

Yes, it wouldn't make a difference. This might seem like a stupid idea, but I am a huge supporter of the theory that if we reach a certain point of expansion, that eventually we would slam together, like a huge rubber band. So I was thinking, that if we are expanding, not only will the universe collapse, but before that, the earth could possibly do the same.

If we expanded with the universe, how would we tell the universe was expanding?
If you;re both expanding at the same rate, you couldn't possibly know. It's trying to figure out whether you're traveling or not when traveling at a constant velocity and not looking out of the window. You can't really know!

What forces could provoke this fluctuation in expansion. Are we 10x bigger sometimes and 20x bigger later? Is the rate of expantion at all relavent to the outward expansion of the universe? (I'm 15 to btw!)

What forces could provoke this fluctuation in expansion. Are we 10x bigger sometimes and 20x bigger later? Is the rate of expantion at all relavent to the outward expansion of the universe? (I'm 15 to btw!)
We are not expanding (umm.. maybe??), or getting 10x bigger or smaller. This was just something that went on in the course of the thread. It is the universe that is expanding, everything is moving away from everything.

We are not expanding (umm.. maybe??), or getting 10x bigger or smaller. This was just something that went on in the course of the thread. It is the universe that is expanding, everything is moving away from everything.

Yes... i am aware that the universe is expanding, where did i not make that clear? was just questioning directly what he was saying... Don't see how i was wrong there... i wasn't agreeing with the "hypothesis". I'm not that dim witted! :)

By AWT the observation of chaos inhomogeneities through another chaos inhomogeneities will lead into illusion of increasing number of inhomogeneities like the observation of object through bumpy glass. The higher density of chaos inhomogeneities leads to the illusion of Universe expansion with distance (and the acceleration of this expansion, and so on...)

bump_move.gif