France is scaling back its nuclear arsenal.

CDarwin

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7308563.stm

When I read this I had think "Wow, that is a really good idea. Finally, someone in the West is making a sane foreign policy move." This is just one more reason why I like Sarkozy. These are the steps that smaller nuclear powers need to be taking toward disarmament and non-proliferation. Now I just want to see if the UK leadership has the guts to do the same.

What do you think?

First of all, 'Sako' is as crazy as you can get.

Also, let's be clear, France is "reducing" it's nuclear arsenal for only two reasons;

- Political... obviously.

- Military; 1 nuclear weapon in 1970 was less effective than 1 nuclear weapon in 2000, not because of the nuclear weapon per se, but simply because it's now easier to strike from afar. What's the point of having 350 weapons, if you can now cover the same ground with less than 300 ?

It looks like disarmament, but in truth, it's not.

Also, let's be clear, France is "reducing" it's nuclear arsenal for only two reasons;

- Political... obviously.

- Military; 1 nuclear weapon in 1970 was less effective than 1 nuclear weapon in 2000, not because of the nuclear weapon per se, but simply because it's now easier to strike from afar. What's the point of having 350 weapons, if you can now cover the same ground with less than 300 ?

It looks like disarmament, but in truth, it's not.

Well the whole point is political. I don't seriously think France is really going to start launching missiles at anyone, so the actual danger they still pose isn't precisely the issue. Even the appearance of disarmament is positive internationally for efforts with countries such as Iran.

Even the appearance of disarmament is positive internationally for efforts with countries such as Iran.

And why is that? I really don't get the positive vibe from disarmament. Disarmament is cool for maintenance reasons (deterioration?), and funding. But no country is really going to completely disarm itself, they can't take the chance of being deceived, so the nuclear threat isn't going anywhere. So, I don't get the international security warm-and-fuzzy thing. Not contesting your point, just puzzled why this works.

Anyway, I think Phil's right, this is symbolism over substance.

And why is that? I really don't get the positive vibe from disarmament. Disarmament is cool for maintenance reasons (deterioration?), and funding. But no country is really going to completely disarm itself, they can't take the chance of being deceived, so the nuclear threat isn't going anywhere. So, I don't get the international security warm-and-fuzzy thing. Not contesting your point, just puzzled why this works.

Anyway, I think Phil's right, this is symbolism over substance.

I puts France on (the appearance at least) of higher ground. That gives it more plausible sway in negotiating.

Why do you say that?

That situation has been pretty under-reported here in the States, IMO. I've heard that he was blasted over dating and then marrying some supermodel shortly after divorcing his wife (if I got that right). Beyond that my general impression (right or wrong?) is that he's being slammed because he's conservative, which makes him pretty much automatically evil in French political practice.

But I've no idea what the specific gripes are and I'd love to hear more. I can break it off into a separate thread if it gets interesting.

Why do you say that?

That situation has been pretty under-reported here in the States, IMO. I've heard that he was blasted over dating and then marrying some supermodel shortly after divorcing his wife (if I got that right). Beyond that my general impression (right or wrong?) is that he's being slammed because he's conservative, which makes him pretty much automatically evil in French political practice.

But I've no idea what the specific gripes are and I'd love to hear more. I can break it off into a separate thread if it gets interesting.

Well, that depends on how you want to define "conservative." Many of the social programs Sarkozy is parring down have been in place since the Louis's. "Conservative" French sentiment is to want to keep them and the laid-back, inefficient way of life they support. In fact many of Sarkozy's harshest critics come from the most Conservative (Sarkozy's party, of course) parts of the country.

Sarkozy is a Reagan-Thatcheresque economic reformer (or liberalizer, to further confuse the terminology). In France, with its anciently paternalistic government, that's more radical than "conservative." The French can be a little prudish about how they expect their public figures to behave, too, in a sort of don't-ask-don't-tell way, and so the marital adventures don't help.