Understanding Bipolar Disorder

1.1 This is both a longitudinal account, going back to my conception in October 1943, and a short term account taking in my most recent experiences in the last year(5/07-5/08)with manic-depression(MD) or bipolar disorder(BPD) as it has come to be called in recent years. Some of the personal context for this illness over the lifespan in my private and public life, in the relationships of my family of birth and of marriage, of work and now of retirement are discussed in this document. I include some of what seems to me my major and relevant: (a) personal circumstances as they relate to my values, beliefs and attitudes on the one hand--what some might call my religion as defined in a broad sense; (b) family circumstances; for example, my parents’ life and my wife’s illness; © employment circumstances involving as they did (i) stress, (ii) movement from place to place and (iii) my sense of identity and meaning; and (d) a range of other aspects of my day-to-day life and its wider socio-historical setting. This lengthy account should provide: (I) mental health sufferers, clients or consumers, as they are now variously called these days, with an adequate information base to make some comparisons and contrasts with their own situation, their own predicament whatever it may be, and hopefully gain some helpful knowledge and understandings; and (II) those assessing my suitability for work or for public or private office with a useful document for making their decision about my capacity to take on the task/responsibility an informed one.

1.2 Many do not feel comfortable going to doctors, to psychologists and/or to psychiatrists. Perhaps this is part of a general distrust of certain professional fields in our world today. Perhaps it is part of a general public being more critical. Still others do seek help; others try to work things out themselves and there are, of course, various combinations of those who try, those who have given up and those who go back and forth between the two poles of trying and not trying to sort out their disorder. Many often find the journey through the corridors of mental health problems so complex, such a labyrinth, that they give up in despair. Suicide is common among the group I refer to here—the sufferers from MD and BPD and I could include D and a range of other illnesses and life battles of a traumatic nature. This account may help such people obtain appropriate treatment and, as a result, dramatically improve their quality of life. I think, too, that this essay of more than 20,000 words and fifty-one A-4 pages(font 14) is part of: (a) my own small part in reducing the damaging stigma associated with BPD and (b) what might be termed “my coming out.”

---------

I am not going to post my wholestory here. I am still seeking to understand BPD and this post is part of that process.-Ron Price, Tasmania:cool:

Hi Ron. My Father suffers from chronic depression and he is a poet also. I typed up his anthology of poetry for him as he doesn't like computers. This was quite disturbing as some of the poetry was quite dark and down. Knowing that it could of been a reflection of what my dad was feeling was very sad for me. Apparently it is quite common or artistic and creative types. Soem poet lauriates have been sufferers and lots of comics get it too. I am no expert, but I have watched other people go through tough times. I myself have suffered mildly in the past as well. I put it down to being reasonably intellegent and taking the worlds (and ones own) problems on your shoulders and not being to work a way through them in your mind. Anyway - sometimes things build up.

The last few years have been ace for me - getting properly paid work and getting married to my lovely wife - so things have leveled out alot. I don't know if what I am saying is making any sense at all. I dont really know what I am talking about really but thought I'd reply anyway, I hope thats OK - best regards to you.

P.

• 4 weeks later...

Altering the brain and its chemistry through medication, alters so many things about one’s life that in some basic ways one becomes a different person much more so since the brain is the central data processing unit in the body. This ongoing story has been, is and will be partly about that different person I have become as a result of my BPD and the medication changes. I hope the above account(posted in a series of instalments) is as much use to others as it has been to me in writing it over these several editions and their many drafts in the last few years. It will be necessary, of course, to make alterations to the above document in the months and years ahead to: (a) include new information and new perspectives on my past experience, (b) add to the document as changes to my life occur that are related to my BPD, © maintain as comprehensive and succinct a story as possible; and, finally (d) to bring those to whom I write this account up-to-date on this story.

10.3.15 There are now 100s of people at some 90 BPD, D, mental health, general health and other internet sites for whom and to whom I write this account or part of it. Most of my correspondence with these people takes place only at the internet sites. There are, as well, a very small handful of personal friends and relations to whom I have sent this story for a range of personal purposes. Some in this latter group want to know this story. I feel it necessary, for various reasons, to inform others so that they have a better understanding of my present situation and past condition. But whatever the reason for my utilizing/writing this account, its contents have become of value to many others who suffer from this disorder, similar disorders or, indeed, have other problems of the human condition that possess a traumatic or quasi-traumatic quality.

10.3.16 Given the complexity, subtlety and difficulty in comprehending BPD and its many manifestations, written descriptions of this disorder and people’s experience of it do not necessarily and/or immediately produce understanding on the part of others. In addition, the very length of this account puts many off. This is due to a host of reasons associated with people’s disinclination to read long passages on the internet, a medium which for many is mainly focussed on short and pithy messages and quips, what one might call internet-speak. Even a personal understanding of the labyrinth, the twists and turns, of BPD keeps me busy. Understanding does not come easily here for the lay person. My story, like so many stories in life, is a work in progress. I look forward to receiving any feedback from anyone who feels moved to write words either of encomium or opprobrium, to make suggestions or to outline their reactions to this long essay/report.

Ron Price

Fifth Edition: 17 June 2008

Draft #2: 2 June 2008

57 Pages(font 14)....No of Words: 23,000

ronprice9@gmail.com

Tel:03-63824790(from mainland Australia)

Tel: dial the international access code #

and then: 613-63824790(from overseas)

6 Reece Street

George Town Tasmania 7253:cool: