Culturing bacteria project...

ok, Firstly you`ll get Xanthan gum from most supermarkets or health food shops that sell organic products espescialy for those that are intollerant of Gluten in Wheat, it`s used as a substitute.

Gellatine, there are 2 different sorts, some are seaweed based the others are based on animal products collagen and cartilage. any of these will do :)

you can also buy these for a super market, it`s used for home made jellies and Aspic for certain savory dishes usualy containing fish :)

hope that helps :)

basicly, boil the water 1`st for a good 10 mins, then follow the instuctions on the packet (measures etc...) then boil again.

pour it into well boiled petre dishes (they must be spotless!) and let it set, it doesn`t "Dry" as such it solidifies.

during the last boil and before you pour it into your dishes, THAT is the time to add your nutrients :)

remember also for your own safety and those around you, NEVER open a cultures dish without gloves and suitable ventilation, never allow ANY of this to come into contact with eating places or materials, ALWAYS have plenty of Chlorox bleach (domestos) around in case of accident, NEVER do this unsupervised! even I have a watcher, and I only make harmless plant materials.

Cleanliness is the key to success and good results, if you even THINK something may have got contaminated or have ANY doubts, DESTROY IT!

have fun :)

Oh, wait and one more thing, would room temperature be good for growing baterium (about 65-70Degrees F) or should i incubate? The bacterium will come from my hands, and maybe seliva. And maybe even from outside. If i shoud incubate, how should I do ths, i dont really have a professional incubater :)

hmm... i don't think most of them though! Otherwise, we could sterilise ourselves with light!

Oh, and if i used lime nutrients, would that be a little to acidic for them, i only included a TINY drop. Plus, will some sunlight be good for them (like it is for plants and humans supplying us w/ vitemin D) or should the bacterium be kept in the dark???

no, not really, unless you are going to culture plant-like mono-secll organisms, which i don't think u r.

They only need light if they are plant like (they have chloroplasts and hence cholorphyll)

otherwise, i don't think it makes a gigantic difference!

ummm, I am a pretty impatient scientist:) but, it has been a day, and I have not seen any growth. I prepared them (bacterium) by:

making lime flavored gelatin, which was poured into a new petre dish. The gelatin set, and I took a swab of saliva, a swab from outside on rocks, plants, and other things, and I lightly pressed my finger on the dish. I put all three samples in three "corners" of the petre dish.

I then put the dish by my radiator (a foot or two away), which is at a pretty constent temperature, at around body temperature.

I have waited a day (is this no long enough to see anything at all?) and the dish is virtually spotless to the naked eye.

SHould this be????

Am I doing something wrong???

I dont see any traces of microbes or bacterium w/ naked eye, they are still there, right?