Culturing bacteria project...

you`ll certainly need to give it plenty of time, also take into account that "Lime jelly" has preservatives in it that inhibit this type of activity :)

I`de give it at least a week as a fair trial, by then you`ll see something if your going to :)

yup :)

white green blue black grey some are even red! it`ll apear as an inconsistency to the surface of the gel, and then gradualy become more profound over time. the neat thing with the fingerprint sample, you`ll actualy see the print after a while :)

Ummmmm, I am not sure if i see signs of bacteria, I see a VERY VERY faint (could be anything) cloud.

I have added these nutrients to my gelatin:

Sugar

adipic acid

sodium citrate

fumaric acid

a tiny bit of salt

Could any of those be stopping the bacterium from growing????????? Are they way too acidic????

Help will be appreciated :)

it has been a day now, in the low 90 deg. F.

EDIT: And it has been 1 and 1/2 days, I still cease to notice any growth??

Can YT explain this?

I think there is only one culpret for this, and that is the culture medium.

Did i put in bad nutrients, as stated above

(I have added these nutrients to my gelatin:

Sugar

adipic acid

sodium citrate

fumaric acid

a tiny bit of salt)

Probably needs longer to be honest with you. I'd say that there's probably a number of factors involved in bacteria reproduction, and although I'm not a biologist, I'd probably give it a bit more time.

excellent! :)

what ever you do though, do NOT take the lid off! and always wash your hands afterwards with dillute chlorox bleach. don`t breathe any of it in! I`de like to see the results of your experiments for many years to come, not have you laid up in hospital somewhere! :)

Yes, I have come very prepared for that (as in safety). Are wearing rubber glooves, a docters mask (my dad is a docter, so i have plenty), goggles, and the frequent washing of hands enough? (w/ diluted bleach and anti-bacterial soap, bleach not to be mixed w/ ammonia :))

PS, i think the otherr reason is SAFETY!!! :)

is that just to keep the bacteria inside the container? or is there another reason?

yeah, you really don`t want spores to enter your lungs, or other airborne spores to contaminate your dish either, mayny often have a bit of sellotape around the lid too, in case it gets dropped (accidents happen).

but basicly it keeps you and your sample safe :)