Perpetual Motion

Xain

Xain,

I think part of the issue you are facing is that you are trying to start with a conclusion (this will work!) and then searching for a way to make it happen. However, as people who know more about this stuff than you have been telling you, there are quite a lot of things about what we currently know about our universe that will have to change pretty drastically for ANY perpetual motion idea to be feasible.

inow: i know what your saying, ill go through a couple years of physics and ill see if i still have an idea or even think its feasible

Klaynos: then what will it do for physics? fill in gaps that we dont know?

but it has a possibility of killing us

It will allow for test of theories, and hopefully lead to developing a modified standard model of particle physics, which we already know is not complete.

No it doesn't really... There's a few threads about it in the forums...

"modified standard model of particle physics"

what will this do for us?(sorry i havent taken much physics yet)

it supposidly has a 1 in 50,000,000 chance, from what i understand, of making stranglets or opening a miniture black hole

"modified standard model of particle physics"

what will this do for us?(sorry i havent taken much physics yet)

it supposidly has a 1 in 50,000,000 chance, from what i understand, of making stranglets or opening a miniture black hole

For most people no effect what so ever. It'll be interesting, e.g. currently the standard model predicts that neutrinos should be massless, but we know they're not.

I'd suggest you read the thread where this was discussed at great depth:

http://www.scienceforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32068

If it were going to happen cosmic rays would have done it by now...

ive read last night, but now i understand it, i just scanned through it

and, thats all its going to do for physics, for billions of dollars and years of work?

to me it doesnt seem like too much

ive read last night, but now i understand it, i just scanned through it

and, thats all its going to do for physics, for billions of dollars and years of work?

to me it doesnt seem like too much

I'm not a particle physicist so I'm not well versed in what it will achieve, hopefully it'll give us information about things such as supersymetry.

You say "is that all" but neutrino detection allows us to test models of the inner working of the sun, and the fact their not massless allows them to change between here and were they're formed, meaning early detection experiments detected levels that were significantly lower than what they are now.

This stuff is fundamental to how the universe works, and might give other clues to what dark matter is...

wow,

will they run it once, or as many times as the need to figure it out?

Many many times... I'm not sure of the particulars, but I'd assume different energies. And lots of repeats. The data produced from each collision is massive, unbelievably large amounts of data.

• 4 weeks later...

I've read that the LHC will be producing something like 400GB of data per second while in operation. Is there a thread about "the grid" (the massive new network that is being constructed to manage/distribute the LHC data)?

Also one of the main goals of the LHC is to detect the Higgs Boson (the particle which gives mass to other particles).

I've read that the LHC will be producing something like 400GB of data per second while in operation. Is there a thread about "the grid" (the massive new network that is being constructed to manage/distribute the LHC data)?

Also one of the main goals of the LHC is to detect the Higgs Boson (the particle which gives mass to other particles).

It's just under 40TB of raw data and other 'stuff' per day that it's expected to produce ;)

But I don't think I've ever seen a thread on the LHC data grid.

im not sure on where to put this

but i was thinking of a way to make it or something halfway decent with magnets and whatnot

bt i was curious

can you have just a south pole on a magnet?

and just a north?

and how would i go about storing energy in a bettery from a revolving wheel with a copper coil?

What does this have to do with perpetual motion? The term perpetual motion quite literally means movement that goes on forever. There are no laws in classical mechanics which prevents this. However the term usual is taken to refer to any closed system that produces more energy than it consumes. Such systems violate the second law of thermodynamics.

Which meaning are you referring to?

Pete