Congress approves retroactive immunity for illegal wiretapping

bascule

Retroactive immunity for telcos who participated in Bush's domestic spying program was passed in the Senate today. The bill now goes on to an ecstatic Bush who can't wait to sign it. In other words, it's a done deal:

http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSWAT00975320080709

This is truly a sad day.

Among other things this means civil suits against these companies, by the ACLU and the Electronic Frontier Foundation, will never reach the Supreme Court. To me, this represents Congress and the Executive colluding to sidestep an important check provided by the Judicial branch.

I weep for our civil liberties.

Considering the fact that we know our government looks for multiple objectives when planning strategies ("we're going to invade, so let's see what else our efforts can do for us"), I don't think it conspiracy-minded to fear the passage of a bill that most lawmakers don't even understand, and which keeps most of its objectives secret from most of them.

I could live with the flimsy promise that FISA won't encroach on my rights unless I have Al Qaeda on speed-dial, but what kind of promise is Barack Obama sending to me by voting for a bill which contains a section he strongly disagrees with? I want more accountability and less secrecy and he just voted to grant retroactive immunity to people who may have helped the government break the law.

Does integrity become meaningless when you can get more votes with a billion dollars?

I know I made a big stink of this in the other thread, witch hunts and all, but immunity wasn't the answer.

I hate to see bullshit lawsuites, but I really figured they'd suffer in public opinion while receiving little punishment in fines and so forth. Now we'll never know.

Yeah, what kind of leadership is that? Obama voted, as unpopular as his choice was for his base.

And I guess I got my question answered afterall. He did plan on voting for it even if the retroactive immunity wasn't removed.

D'oh! "I'd like you to change this aspect, but don't worry, I'll vote for it anyways!?!"

Wuss. :D

I got to agree. On the bright side, now both sides can be mad at McCain, for not voting for it, and not voting against it.

---

I guess we have to solve this ourselves then. We can use encrypted communications, and encourage others to do so.

I don't know what that means, but I suspect I will find it much less palatable than the idea that our politicians usually have to make compromises.

Yep, compromise is for politicians, not us. Of course, if they looked more like statesmen than salesmen I might not resent them for it.