Karl Rove ignores Congressional subpoena

bascule

Since the White House is ordering him not to appear, it seems it's part of executive privilege, since Rove included the President and/or VP in his discussions at some point. I could be wrong but that's what it sounds like.

Since the White House is ordering him not to appear, it seems it's part of executive privilege, since Rove included the President and/or VP in his discussions at some point. I could be wrong but that's what it sounds like.

If that's the case, shouldn't he show up THEN claim executive privilege, depending on if the questions are actually violating it?

How is it that even showing up is violating executive privilege?

But I think there's actually a court precedence against allowing executive figures from pulling the 'executive privilege card' in cases of appearing at congressional hearings.

The whole thing stinks because now you just have to suspect the whitehouse is hiding something.

Right, but if memory serves there is a federal case pending regarding Harriet Miers' and Joshua Bolton's contempt citations. I guess we're basically on hold until that gets resolved. Today's exercise didn't really accomplish anything, it was just for the cameras. Nothing really wrong with that, but I don't think it changed the situation.

But you never know what might happen when you play the cards everyone's been speculating about. As they say in baseball, that's why they play the game. (One of the things that makes politics so interesting, IMO.)

The whole thing stinks because now you just have to suspect the whitehouse is hiding something.
And it seems pretty obvious that the White House couldn't care less what we suspect. If there's nothing to hide but Bush's privacy penchant, then his actions tell me he's disconnected from what's important to us. This is one of his legacies, imo; he was so caught up with "need-to-know" that he forgot we need to know.

Nothing really wrong with that, but I don't think it changed the situation.
Maybe not with regards to Congress, but it sure lowers my approval of both Bush and Congress. ♫ I've got a feeling I'm not the only one. ♪

Apparently he's fled the country on a "long scheduled" trip coinciding with the subpoena:
Very telling that the White House goes from, "This trip was scheduled a long time ago" to, "You know, he's not required to show up".

This is one of the problems with our politics today. If you elect someone who knows the system, you're going to get people who also know how to play the system. It's more than a bit unsettling that *anyone* could ignore the US Congress in this way.

This is one of the problems with our politics today. If you elect someone who knows the system, you're going to get people who also know how to play the system. It's more than a bit unsettling that *anyone* could ignore the US Congress in this way.

Why did Rumsfeld step down when congress went to the dems, my gut tells me such is similar to this situation. I don’t know if they could have kept him out of any hearings. Now though its getting closer to the end of our rulers rule so maybe they think stonewalling will work. I mean could you imagine how devastating some questions alone could be regardless of the answer? It would be to cool but I doubt he will have to see any hearings of any kind. Its part of the package deal that started with secret energy meetings on how to melt the planet faster ;)

It's more than a bit unsettling that *anyone* could ignore the US Congress in this way.

Actually, isn't it only a handful that can do this since this is a direct consequence of the executive? It may seem unsettling in this case, but I'll bet it would be far more unsettling if one of the three branches could claim primacy in this balanced power triangle.

I think I read somewhere that we don't really want to know if the executive trumps congress. We may think we do, but we don't really...

Actually, isn't it only a handful that can do this since this is a direct consequence of the executive? It may seem unsettling in this case, but I'll bet it would be far more unsettling if one of the three branches could claim primacy in this balanced power triangle.

I think I read somewhere that we don't really want to know if the executive trumps congress. We may think we do, but we don't really...

I'm not really looking for primacy here, I'm looking for clear protocols. A request from one branch should be honored for what it is by another branch. I fully expect equivocation from Rove were he to show up (beating around the Bush is his job). The fact that he's not even showing up is what's unsettling and it seems very disrespectful of the process and of Congress.

I want Rove to show up to tell Congress he can't answer their questions. If I want to be an informed player, I need to know what cards are supposed to be facing up for all to see, and why one player wants them in his pocket.

He'd still be cited for contempt, though, and Democrats would have their political show, but nothing would be resolved. This question of executive privilege needs to be addressed, but I'm afraid we may lack the mechanism to address it.