Deciding Major, let me know

elvish1mf

I would like to decide my major soon. I am in community college but will likely be accepted as a transfer student to UNC. I want a career in researching medicine. More specifically, I want to specialize in fungus and mold research. I am very interested in the kingdom of fungus/mold and would love a career that allows me to search out fungus and mold in the wild and analyze and research it. My hope is to help develop new medicines from fungus and or mold. Is this whole business a long shot? What can I hope for realistically and is this the right career path if I would dearly like to spend time searching out molds/ fungus in the wild?

unc offers these course studies in the way of biochemical research.

Biochemistry & Biophysics

Bioinformatics & Computational Biology - Coming Soon

Biology (MCDB)

Cell & Developmental Biology

Cell & Molecular Physiology

Chemistry (Biochemistry Division)

Genetics & Molecular Biology

Microbiology & Immunology

Neurobiology

Molecular & Cellular Pathology

Pharmacology

Toxicology

which (if any) sounds right for me?

Edited by elvish1mf
multiple post merged

• 2 weeks later...

1) Cell & Developmental Biology

2) Cell & Molecular Physiology

3) Molecular & Cellular Pathology

Pick a card.

I think 3 is up your alley. There is a possibility of you either becoming real good at your field or going off on a tangent.

To stay safe, I suggest picking card number two.

But yeah, seriously consider three and see if you could stay focused enough with your interests.

your research interests sound like it could be multi-disciplinary, so you might want to find a lab/ professor and ask what they'd recommend... chances are, you'll get to take a bunch of upper division bio electives, so don't think about 'restricting' yourself.

Worst comes to worst, you'll find that you're interested in something new. I don't think UG is the time to be focusing your studies. You can do that in grad school.