McCain Expresses Concern over Situation on the Iraq-Pakistan Border

iNow

Doh! Too bad Joe Lieberman wasn't standing nearby this time, right? :)

But seriously, he obviously meant Iran. I don't put a lot of stock in gaffs like this, and I've been kinda glad to see most of them not get posted here (but it's cool, at least there's humor value). I don't even disagree with those suggesting that it may indicate a lack of knowledge, I would just point out that we can't make that judgement based on 30-second sound bites. Obama makes a lot of gaffs too, and that's just not what the contest should be about. These people are always in a fishbowl and we're the ones sloshing it around and then pointing at the water that spills over the edge.

The other day a conservative friend of mine called and launched into this tirade about Obama's dark and sinister past. I listened to it politely for a few minutes, mm-hmm'ing in the right places, but finally I just said, "Look, you don't know the guy any better than I do, so aren't you really just passing along other people's interpretations?"

I think this stuff actually hurts Obama more than it helps him (not that he was behind this, of course, but I mean when he does attack on this level). He does better (at least with me) when he avoids attack and sticks with his audaciously middle-ground message of hope. America just does not want to hear another ABB-style message from the left, any more than it wants the right to do another swift-boating deal. It just won't accept it.

Yeah... It was intended for a quick smirk, nothing serious. It happens to all candidates, so it's rather silly for focus. Humor is a correct interpretation of my intent. :)

(plus, it seems like 9 out of every 10 posts in the Politics section starts with the word "Obama...", so I was looking to bring some balance.

I think this stuff actually hurts Obama more than it helps him (not that he was behind this, of course, but I mean when he does attack on this level). He does better (at least with me) when he avoids attack and sticks with his audaciously middle-ground message of hope. America just does not want to hear another ABB-style message from the left, any more than it wants the right to do another swift-boating deal. It just won't accept it.

I agree very much with your point. What concerns me is how often the "McCain Message" seems to be about what Obama is doing wrong and why Obama is not the right choice. It sure would make me appreciate McCain more if it were his own message and his own ideals and his own plans that he were trumpeting. He just has WAY too many "Obama didn't even go to Iraq" tv messages, instead of "John McCain will do X, he will fight for Y, and he will achieve Z" type messages.

I also worry somewhat about the nature of McCain's gaffs, as it speaks against his mental health. He's already fighting against the senility issue, and general nationwide concerns over his age, and missteps like this only exaggerate the issue. :)

I wonder if there is a site anywhere that counts the gaffs of the candidates. That might provide greater weight to determine if the old man's just slipped here and there or if it's a relatively consistent theme.

Edited by iNow
multiple post merged

An amusing but harmless flub. Of course, if Obama said the same thing, it would be a sure sign of his foreign policy inexperience, and possibly an allusion to his secret practice of radical Islam.

There is some truth to that, but the right keeps howling that the media ignores his lack of foreign policy experience. And to be fair, it's pretty immodest for all three network anchors to be following the Democratic candidate around the Middle East like he's some kind of messiah.

Maybe I'm just a bit cynical today because I watched "Network" last night for the umpteenth time. :D

Right now' date=' there is a whole, an entire generation that never knew anything that didn't come out of this tube. This tube is the gospel, the ultimate revelation; this tube can make or break presidents, popes, prime ministers; this tube is the most awesome goddamn propaganda force in the whole godless world, and woe is us if it ever falls into the hands of the wrong people.

We'll tell you anything you want to hear, we lie like hell. You're beginning to believe the illusions we're spinning here, you're beginning to believe that the tube is reality and your own lives are unreal. You do. Why, whatever the tube tells you: you dress like the tube, you eat like the tube, you raise your children like the tube, you even think like the tube.

[b']This is mass madness, you maniacs! In God's name, you people are the real thing, WE are the illusion![/b]

"A VERY SERIOUS SITUATION. I am very concerned about the situation on the Iraq-Pakistan Border."

To be fair, I think most of us here on SFN are very concerned about the Iraq-Pakistan border, especially since the government may want to invade there shortly.