Grad Student Issues

Jarwulf

Alright, there doesn't seem to be a better place to post this sort of question. If there are any other grad students I'd especially appreciate your feedback.

I am a grad student at a research university, I'm also the only student in my PI's research group currently. We mostly do theoretical/computer stuff, no wetlab. The problem is I've come in from a more wetlab background and am somewhat inexperienced in the heavier math orientation of this research. This would be all fine and dandy except that the PI is travelling often, and when he is around doesn't seem too interested in giving me one on one instruction or anything but the most general and vague directions about what he wants me to do. Because of this I'm not progressing as quickly as I would like or maybe he wants. It's difficult to figure out what he thinks of my performance since we aren't in contact as often as I would like. Even through email he doesn't respond as nearly as quickly as I wish he would. Even though he doesn't seem to be outright hostile or a bully I'm vaguely troubled by this disinterest. Normally I'd be able to rely on labmates but since I'm alone this is particularly difficult situation.

I think there is potential for me to be able to chart a path to a research project that would suit my tastes in this lab if I can get this resolved. I'm worried though that this is an ominous sign that things might get worse. Because of certain circumstances I might have to soon get financial support directly from him. (dum dun dun) The last thing I want is to get kicked out or dropped by the wayside or fail in some other way. Any advice to extricate myself out of this pickle or mitigate the problems is appreciated.

Ah, I am not a grad student anymore, however at least a part of what you describe is found quite often (at least according to own experience, as well as from mentoring grad students) . Maybe I should add that I am talking as a postdoc working so far in three different institutes (University as well as research institutes) in two different countries (Germany and USA). Just to put it a little bit into perspective on what I am writing here.

First of all you are concerned what the PI thinks about you and the lack of communication between you two.

The more serious part is lack of communication, however you are also overly concerned regarding your performance (in his eyes).

I do not have details, so I cannot easily evaluate it, however in many, if not most groups the contact between PIs and grad students can be rather sporadic. That is, unfortunately, not unusual.

However, you must be aware that you are building your own career. Your PI does not have to be a mentor (in fact, these cases are rather rare). If you cannot find any labmates, you will have to teach the stuff yourself or look in another groups for help. During my undergrad and grad times for "administrative" reasons I essentially had the lab for me alone and wrote my own grant proposals. It is slower than simply to do as you are told, but you learn a lot this way.

Either way, do not be too concerned what the PI thinks about you, you are not in a popularity contest. You do have to get a grasp on your project, or draft a poject that better suits you, that is still within the scope of what the group does and which can be published. Publication being the main point here. Hardly any PI would deny you working on something publishable.

If you think that you are not up to this and need more mentoring you can look for another PI. This again has its risk. People that jump ship are sometimes regarded with caution. Also you may run into precisely the same problems. So if you do change, check the group carefully and talk the both, the potential new PI, as well as your potential labmates.

Be aware though, in many groups you will have to claw your way through your phd anyway.

In my opinion the best way is to read the papers in the respective field, draft out a proposal that will allow you to publish (in most computational disciplines one should roughly aim for three publications or more during the phd, though there are differences in sub-discipines). Then talk to you PI and try to see how appreciative he is. If he wants to control every aspects of your work, but does not give any suggestions, then it is probably better to leave. If he lets you do the proposed stuff, then you got a chance. If he denies it, but gives a good counter-proposal, think about it.

Edit: noticed a lot of typos, but cannot correct them all atm. sorry.

Edited by CharonY