Attraction at sea!

Gareth56

The world's largest oil tanker comes in at about 565000kg so if there were two of these leviathans 100m appart at sea (calm, no strong currents ) would there be a noticable attraction between them? I calculated a force of about 0.002N.

If they were 1000m apart. Would they drift faster towards each other?

No. Since they would be ten times farther apart, and force of gravity varies with the square of the distance between objects, the force would be 1/100th as strong, or (apparently) about 0.00002N. They would start out accelerating 1/100th as quickly.

There is some evidence the following post is true...

There's a bit on the wp 'talk' page about it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Talk:Casimir_effect#ships

I can clearly see how it might be the case. But cannot remember whether I was told it in a lecture or just in passing...

There will actually be quite a strong force attracting them. It's due to an effect very very similar to the casimir effect:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casimir_effect

But with sea waves...

Quickly then:

The world's largest tanker would most certainly be bigger than 565000 kg. How about 565000000 kg? (Somebody probably mixed up kg and tons, ships are often measured in tons).

That brings the force to about 2000 N.

With a mass of 565000000 kg, the acceleration will be an impressive 4E-6 m/s2.

Not in the mood to calculate how long it takes to travel 100 meters, because the acceleration will increase when they get closer (luckily for the poor researchers hanging around there with a stopwatch and a tape measure).

Edited by CaptainPanic

There will actually be quite a strong force attracting them. It's due to an effect very very similar to the casimir effect:

But with sea waves...

I am pretty sure that this force, if it exists, will only be present when the ships are very close together (i.e. not more than a few meters).

depends on the distribution of wave lengths on the water. sure, for the small surface waves you see on a calm day they will need to be close together but if you have massive long wave length waves then it'll work when they are further appart.

What is that called? Phase cancellation? Attenuation? Zero Resistance Attenuation? Is there a reference which talks about the phenomenon? Or is it theoretical math?