When the Cows come home...

Very interesting, cows have a compass? Also, we should sleep North/South?

Maybe there is something to Feng Shui? :D

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/08/26/dude_wheres_my_cow/

Researchers have explained why cattle will tend to face the same direction when grazing - a behaviour long known to herdsmen and hunters but previously attributed to either prevailing winds or the sun's position.

In fact, Reuters reports, they align their bodies along a north-south axis, suggesting the Earth's magnetic field is the "polarizing factor".

The team's report does, though, suggest that humans and whales are "suspected of having an innate magnetic compass", demonstrated by previous research showing that people who "sleep in an east-west position have far shorter rapid eye movement or REM sleep cycles... compared with north-south sleepers who got more REM sleep". ®

Interesting to see but I did not think this as a mystery. Well I do believe that human brain does look and work like a large Electro-Magnetic coil when you think that it has vibes and neurons passing electrical charges by exchanging two charged matters to have an electric flow all from back of the neck to the front of the head. It would be really logical if it has a tendency of having a certain direction for most of humans which neurons concentrate to go. So when you contradict to that alignment it could be harder to exchange charged matters in and out of the neuron. But I also think that if it is true than sleeping near a Large City Transformer should be very bad for brain anyone know any experiment about human brain behavior around EM disturbances.

I saw yesterday in a surprisingly decent documentary on National Geographic that pigeons have small rods of magnetic material (ferrite) in their beaks. these rods are really tiny and they're clustered in 3 sites on both the sides of the beak.

No clue whether cows resemble pigeons in this matter... But it seemed relevant.

[crap]Still, I don't see a big market for homing-cows. Pigeons will probably be faster. Perhaps DHL or UPS are interested in homing cows for larger pieces of mail. [/crap]

But I also think that if it is true than sleeping near a Large City Transformer should be very bad for brain anyone know any experiment about human brain behavior around EM disturbances.

Studies have been show a link to higher rates of leukaemia in people living very close to over head power lines.