Want to major in biology, self dilemma though.

Marconis

I am a senior in high school, and I have a gigantic interest in everything associated with biology. There really is nothing that interests me more than the study of life. However, I really am not that knowledgeable on the subject. Compared to other biology students, I probably have no more than basic knowledge. This is where my worry comes in....Is it really the choice for me in college? I am trying my best to learn more, and I have started taking an AP course this year. But everything about me seems to contradict with my interests. Despite the interest, my brain doesn't seem to be able to think like a "science" student, which is very depressing. I have taken various career tests, and a lot of them scream fields in science. When I take personality and thinking tests though, they say otherwise. When it tells you at the end which careers are good for the type of personality or whatever, anything related to science, mathematics, engineering or anything like that rarely goes with my personality and thinking style.This is probably irrelevant, but just throwing it out there.

So, I am highly discouraged. I feel like I am fighting my brain. I don't get how I can be SO interested in something, yet not exhibit vast knowledge on the subject. What if I am not really interested in it, and it is just a mirage of some sort that my mind is creating? What if it's something I wish I could be and the interest is artificial? When you major in something in college, are you expected to know everything off the bat, or do you re-learn things that you learned in high school? I am so overwhelmed with things right now. I am already struggling in my AP bio class. We are using the Campbell book, and chapters 4-5 are about organic/biochem. I have always had trouble with understanding it, even when I took chemistry last year (which I despised). Do you have to take organic chem when you major in bio? I am also abysmal at math, by the way.

I should note that this started to hit me harder once I read the question for an essay for a college I was applying to. It was a 250 word or more statement of why I was interested in the major, which asked me to state the talents and values that make me qualified for the major. Made me realize I have no talents really relating to science in general, just an interest.

To tell the truth, only geniuses have talents beyond an interest in their field of study.

You do have to take organic chemistry to get a bio major. That might be a class that you have to struggle through with rote memorization. Math is like that for me.

Most colleges will give you credit hours for the intro bio courses (the prerequisites for the actual biology major courses). In short, they expect you to know about as much about a biology major as you did when you set foot in AP bio on the first day of school.

If you have an interest in biology, you should try going to the library and reading popular science magazines (like Scientific American, Science News, Science, Discovery, etc.) as these magazines take scientific papers and "translate" them into everyday language.

Most colleges will give you credit hours for the intro bio courses (the prerequisites for the actual biology major courses). In short, they expect you to know about as much about a biology major as you did when you set foot in AP bio on the first day of school.

Forgot to mention: You'll have to pass the AP bio test to get those credit hours. Some colleges will require that you pass with a 4 or 5 to give you credit, so study hard!

Higher level chemistry classes are to help a person visualize biology on a molecular level. Keyword: Visualize. To help you imagine all those atoms that create DNA. To help you imagine that protein created. Try taking a few art classes, and that will help, too.

Don't worry about chemistry books. Some are good, other suck really bad. But you need to find someone who can explain it to you. And ask that person if he/she can explain it "visually."

A lot of biology can be theory, visualizing, and application. The first two are the most important. The application comes as you increase your knowledge of biology.

What to do?

I suggest you walk into a library and read the following books after a gen. inorganic chemistry book:

1. human biology

2. Zoology

3. Botany

4. anatomy and physiology

5. microbiology

Those are some very basic undergrad level things. Try doing things in that order.

I guess we got rid of the 24-hour edit rule around here.

Yeah, you have talents in biology already. You understand germ theory and clean things with disinfectant. You understand that food is processed through a series of complex biological and chemical processes. Just exaggerate your common knowledge of biology and how you apply it.

What if I am not really interested in it, and it is just a mirage of some sort that my mind is creating? What if it's something I wish I could be and the interest is artificial? When you major in something in college, are you expected to know everything off the bat, or do you re-learn things that you learned in high school?

Biology is pretty awesome. The realms of biochemistry, bioengineering, and biophysics even more so. Stuff gets pretty cool and dangerous after a while. To answer your questions, though:

1) You don't have to know everything. But you should learn to critically analyze lectures, books, and other material in order to pass an exam. The sooner you read a course book, the better off you are.

2) Sometimes things in high school are re-learned, such as study habits. Try not to let that happen.

Edited by Genecks
multiple post merged